Feedback on the wiring setup for my micro-layout

If ya use a power supply with more amperage, you'll turn that solenoid into a mini rail gun and put that core through a wall.

According to my research, the minimum amps that the Kato turnouts need is 500 mAs. I have read some forums stating that having between 500 and 800 mAs per turnout is recommended. A 1 - 1.5 amp wall wart should do the trick. The trick here is for me not to screw up wiring the momentary DPDT toggles for each turnout, because then I’ll have a homemade railgun for sure!

I found an old 3.3 amp laptop charger in my house but that’s overkill. Amazon here I come!

WOW! A subject I actually have some knowledge of 🤣🤣

All my turnouts are on momentary switches, I use a 12v power supply and a CDU Capacitor Discharge Unit between the power supply and the switch, this will give you a momentary "snap" of extra power to the point motor. And will also prevent a burn out if a switch goes faulty, as the power "snap" from the CDU is also momentary.
I have something similar to this fitted under the board, mines a little bigger, but this powers all 16 turnouts, it's supposed to be able to power 6 turnouts simultaneously, but so far only powered 4 at the same time, no problem.

CDU.jpg

As long as you are over the minimum amp requirements of what you are powering you will be fine. You could run those actuators on a 100 amp supply if you wanted to, because they will only draw what they need , for the split second they need it.

I've have tried this without a CDU, I admit it will work, but only if you throw one switch at a time, if your using double throws one usually won't throw properly and you have a derailment, and if your using under surface motors, they need more of a push than you think to operate properly.

that is something you would use for routing. Routing is when you have numerous destinations a train can go to. You set up each route with a number designator. When you hit one of the designators all turnouts are thrown at the same time, thus you would need that extra kick to power all solenoids. If it were Tortoise Machines, the low current draw wouldn't be a problem for the power supply.

Back