FEC Fort Lauderdale Layout (HO)

brickbuilder711

FEC Train 222
Some of you may know me for being part of the modern day South Florida switching cult, -- put in a tongue in cheek way rather :p -- and I wanted to get going on either layouts resembling present day road or switching operations in South Florida. I made a lot of designs, albeit seemingly they were only for fun lol, because I could never actually get a layout started for one reason or another.

Eventually, I developed a fancy for more road action. But still, I enjoy switching ops.

The story of how this layout was conceived came from a couple eureka moments:

• A couple friends of mine started aggressively collecting modern intermodal
  • Another buddy who was starting up on a FEC Jax-NSB layout changed plans, and switched to another railroad. So that opened a void...
  • Athearn released Crowley and Seaboard containers over the last year

So here lies the FEC Port Everglades-Fort Lauderdale yard layout.

bc8d94fe7bfe9cc7bd2fc2d4305bafd1.png

For switching, one can work the ramp or unit Ethanol customer Motiva Enteprises. One can prepare and shuffle trains 963, 960 or 970. And ultimately, hopefully time permitting the handful of boxcar customers at Dania can be switched.
But also, the layout affords the chance to run all through trains around the large loops. Which should make things pretty exciting. I may open operations to CSX so that I can run CSX power since FEC power has been harder to come by especially the GEVOs.

For now, this plan is just a brainchild, lol, but hopefully benchwork will begin soon.

Hi Tolga. Love your track plan. I wish I had space to build a layout like that. I have to be content with small switching layouts. I'm a big fan of FEC and CSX operations in South Florida.

My last layout 'South Florida Reload' was inspired by your videos and pics of FEC local 960.

Attachments

• sfr 16.6.15 008new.jpg
    sfr 16.6.15 008new.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 475
That's an interesting place to model. I really enjoy switching and see a lot of opportunity to keep yourself busy. Years ago I used to fly fight over Port Everglades when flying into Executive Airport. A lot of activity in the port area. Looking forward to watch your progress on the layout.

Hi Tolga. Love your track plan. I wish I had space to build a layout like that. I have to be content with small switching layouts. I'm a big fan of FEC and CSX operations in South Florida.

My last layout 'South Florida Reload' was inspired by your videos and pics of FEC local 960.

Thanks Mal!!
Always been a fan of your switching layouts. I have to check this one out. Was out of the MRR loop for a while until recently, so I have some catching up to do... From that pic it looks awesome!

I'm going to probably only make good on half of the plan that I posted anyway, until I get a bigger space or move out or something... Taking things one at a time.

If this layout peaks and really expands, once I turn 30 or 40 years old and have the space hehe, I'm looking at Hialeah to Pompano. The Market will definitely be included. It is just as exciting as our beloved O717 corridor, with more freight traffic on the mainline.

That's an interesting place to model. I really enjoy switching and see a lot of opportunity to keep yourself busy. Years ago I used to fly fight over Port Everglades when flying into Executive Airport. A lot of activity in the port area. Looking forward to watch your progress on the layout.

Thanks! In the last three years FEC's presence has pretty much expanded there, with a new intermodal yard, and double unloading facilities for ethanol (the old pig yard for Decks and Docks, and the new spur for Motiva). I'm going to definitely go all out and focus on the design and construction of this layout.

So what can you tell me about radius and turnout size used in the plan.
Thanks
Wayne

Sorry for the late response, turnouts will be #8 for all traffic, and #6/#4 for manifest traffic. #4 is where only short cars will go. Originally I set a min 24" radius for thru traffic, but I heard long runners don't like that, so I raised the minimum Intermodal radius to 27"

With time and stalled plans I made little progress, plus a leak (now mostly fixed) in the room didn't help, however I'm getting serious about doing A FEC layout in the room especially since I dig the new GEVOs.

I may stray away from Fort Lauderdale, keeping an expanded ICTF as the focus. I redid the track plan from scratch to make the ICTF longer. This compromises a lot of space, and I may drop the Ethanol customer altogether (since I expect to move out in less than 5 years!)... Expect the layout to resemble this plan, with a few or many changes...

Back