Favorite Train movie

It might be Von Ryan’s Express. And Burt Lancaster was in a movie (simply called The Train, if I remember right) where he played a French railroad engineer who is put in charge of a train carrying paintings that the Germans had looted from Paris and were taking with them as they fled from the Allies. It’s not a bad movie if you can ignore the 1960s hairstyles on the actresses. There is a scene in that movie where Lancaster changes signs in this German town to make the Germans think they were going to a place called Zweibruecken (Two Bridges) when they were really taking the train somewhere else so it could be captured by the Allies. Some of my Rhenish ancestors from before the Revolution came from Zweibruecken.

However, I am more fascinated by train stations than I am trains, so my favorite train movie is Judy Garland’s The Clock. This movie was set in Penn Station, but because it was made during the War and Penn Station was being used 24-7 it wasn’t considered cost-effective to shoot the movie on location. So MGM built a stage in Culver City to duplicate the parts of the station that were shown in the movie. I’d like to know what happened to the set since New York was stupid enough to tear down the real thing.

1. Emperor of the North (great cast and cinematography)
2. The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (original version)
3. Silver Streak

Back