Favorite train and era ?

hey dallas

could it have been this loco you seen?
475702756_3eff4fca9b.png

as for me i like big black and modern
4181_1245858001.png

hmmm, UP and NS power together? is this something that happens often?
what other roads are seen using each others locos?

Having lived in New Haven, Indiana for some time, I've seen many roads lashed to consists on the NS line. Montana Rail Link, UP, BNSF, CP Rail, as well as lease units, FURX and others. The Fort Wayne yard, and ex-NKP facility, was less than a mile from ou place.

To add a note, one of the neatest things about the yard was the turn table. Very few remain today and to see engines turned was a real treat.

Bob

hmmm, UP and NS power together? is this something that happens often?
what other roads are seen using each others locos?

Canadian National own GT and Illinois central, often trade loco
i havent seen a train with both IC and CN loco but there are some pictures on the internet. Now IC loco where painted in blue with cn logo on them
2624-winnipeg-20090903.jpg

jul,
now that CN owns IC i don't see this mix as to strange.
but i guess it is very good that companies are open for such cross use as it allows for flexibility.

and i can use my NS and UP 38-2's together and say it is prototypical :D

My favorite road is the Western Pacific. And the engines of choice are the F7's followed by the GP7/9/20's.
IM007640.jpg

My second favorite era would be the green era with the same engines.
WP921-918-917-9138-79.jpg

And bringing up the rear were WP's brown and yellow lettering bay window cabooses.
IM012132.jpg

GE

Around here I have seen CN trains pass my house with a mix of IC,CN,GTW,CP BNSF and UP in every lash up possible. it is odd and dont know why but they seam to be sharing or using all sorts of shared power options? most are seen this way only on coal drags

I've seen CN do that around London--Woodstock ON area for a few years---all I've been able to figure is that there might be a kind of sharing of resources going on---much like trackage rights and such----but then what do I know:eek::confused:

here is my theory why such thing could be done :

i own compagny A and bownout own compagny B
compagny A own a railroad going from town Z to X, compagny B own a railroad from X to Y,we share a common yard in town X, i have a customer that want 5 boxcar delivered from town Z to Y, so my train pickup the wagon and brind them to town Z, instead of loosing time dropping the wagon in the yard, i pass on the train to compagny B, wich need to deliver container to town Y,they just add their own wagon to my train and add a loco,delivering everything using only 1 driver to town Y and no waste of time for yard switching. everyone happy :D

i hope it clear

Ah, the railroad museum at Quincy. Heaven for a WP modeler. :)

Julien, that is the longest run-on sentence, with nothing but commas for punctuation and no caps at all, that I've ever seen. I'm assuming you're still in school. Meaning no disrespect, you've got to get a better command of written English if you expect people to understand complicated ideas.

Yep, Jim, many on the web are grammatically challenged these days. lol

At least he can spell half way. That's a plus.

The phenomenon is not just restricted to the youth either. I can't read my daughter's text messages she sends me, and she's 36 with a dual college degree, one in nursing. So she ain't dumb.(Takes after her father in that regard)

Jimbo, you just need to get with the 21st century. LMAO!!!!!

Julien, I have a similar process going on with my layout. I have a union of (6)railroads. Railroad (A)(either the PRR, NYC, or NKP) passes off the consist to one of the other roads, after cutting the train for locals and empties. I add a few cars from the other roads to build a consist for the Wabash or Monon, or one of the others. Makes for a busy time. I don't have very many "straight though" expresses other than some of the reefers. Those get "re-iced", if needed,while the engine is serviced or changed out, and continue on after picking up a few more cars at the meat plant and the brewery to head out.

Coal consists ALWAYS have the right of way, since I have no sidings long enough to park a long, usually 50-60 cars long minimum, coal drag. But I'm working on changing a few modules to allow the coal trains to take a siding. Another evolution in my layout.

Bob

Julienn It depends on what you mean by 'Manage'--let us just say that you are looking to make up an inventory of what you have at the present moment. I'd just go into my Office Word and start by developing a chart/table and then just list the things as you go within each cell. I find I save memory space that way so that I have it and not have it all taken up by more software---:)

what i want is a software that could create list of wagon to be assembled in a consist, and print them like a bill, you know like real railroad do

Sure, if you want to shell out $69, Minirail at http://www.minirail.com/ is a fine program. You can also do the same thing in Excel if you want to take the time to learn how to write a few macros to pick out cars based on certain criteria and print them into switchlists. BTW, unless you're modeling a European railroad, they are called "freight cars" here, not "wagons".

Bob, text messages have a language all their own. I've given up on trying to decipehr most of them. What I object to is writing a post on a public froum like you're writing a text message, where spelling and grammar have been bastardized to fit the small keyboard and screen. I think it's important to remember that we have people from all over the world here where English is their second or third language. Thoseof us who are native English speakers have an obligation of common courtesy to write in clear, common English with proper punctuation to help everyone understand our posts better.

id rather put that 69$ is freight car than in a software, aint something free around the net ? how do you make card for Live Ops ?

Julien, Google is your friend. Just search for "Model railroad switchlist software" There are a bunch of them. Figure out if you want to try a free one or a demo of what you want to do. Time to do some of your own research.

a this point i tried 3 software, i was disapointed that none of them could mix ease of use,be free, and work on my vista os
ive sen some diesel loco having a smoke machine that throw dark smoke. would it be easy to install on an Athearn C44-9W loco ? are smoke machine pluggen in the loco decoder or you have to buy an other decoder ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back