favorite manufacturer?

Some of the lower level Bachmann stuff is definitely "walmart" level, But overall, there really aren't any "BAD" brands......they all have good and bad points. In many cases, it comes down to what you want (model/RR/paint scheme/ect)....if you want a GP9, you buy an Atlas, if you want an SD45-2 you buy an Intermountain, If you want a GG1 you buy a Kato. If you are going to try to use one manufacturer only, I'd have to recommend going with Atlas. They have the largest selection of models and the largest selection of railroads in both engines and cars. But just pick the cars and engines you want and go for it!

for me i have to say kato all the way,, for union pacific it's kato.. athearn being the least favorite because of lack of detail and running noises....

Some of the lower level Bachmann stuff is definitely "walmart" level, But overall, there really aren't any "BAD" brands......they all have good and bad points. In many cases, it comes down to what you want (model/RR/paint scheme/ect)....if you want a GP9, you buy an Atlas, if you want an SD45-2 you buy an Intermountain, If you want a GG1 you buy a Kato. If you are going to try to use one manufacturer only, I'd have to recommend going with Atlas. They have the largest selection of models and the largest selection of railroads in both engines and cars. But just pick the cars and engines you want and go for it!

I think Bachmann has slapped the "Spectrum" brand on too many items that don't seem to deserve premium branding. The only real standout Bachmann that I own is a USRA "Light Mountain" loco. Of the remainder, half are toys, the other half are adequate.

I've really liked Broadway Limited, Atlas and Kato.

I'm not fond of Micro Trains because their stock plastic wheels on their cars that I've bought don't work on my code 55 track, so I either avoid them or mentally add the cost of replacement wheel sets if it's a car I want.

I have a fairly small layout. I can run one train around the looped main and switch industrys with a 2nd loco. I often take the 2nd loco out on the main and into a siding before the first loco makes it back around. The beauty of DCC is that there are no toggles to mess with. If I was to do this with a DC layout I would have to throw about 4 or 5 toggles just to do the same task.. IMO thats alot of BS to mess with when trying to enjoy the layout with smooth running.

Even small 4x8 layouts will benifit with DCC. Dont be scared of the inital cost in the long run its cheeper and the enjoyment of the options DCC comes with will make life much better.

I agree, though the initial impressions can be poor, in part because of the price and because most of the controllers look intimidatingly complex with copious tiny, generic buttons.

Don't lump Bachman's new N-scale runs with their old

Bachman no longer deserves the bad rap they got from all the junk N-scale locos they produced in the 1970s and 80s.

Their 2-8-0 is one of the best steamers made by anyone, and now you can get them with a simple decoder already installed. And after you install z-scale couplers, their GE 44-tonner is flawless.

I'm not affiliated with any manufacturer; I base my opinion on the fact that I've installed about 300 N-scale decoders, and I've worked on just about every n-scale loco mechanism made since 1970... It's hard to believe that some of those early designs actually ran!

I think the biggest factor for quality today is how recently it was produced. With few exceptions, the newest n-scale stuff from every manufacturer is of very high quality.

-John

Mix and Match

Locos:
In the roster is an Atlas 2-6-0 Mogul, Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, and several Model Power 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 units. All very good runners.

Freight:
A mix of Roundhouse and Micro-Trains
Some RSLaser kits freight, very nice kits.

Passenger:
Roundhouse and Athearn Overlands.

Structures:
By far the best structures would be RSLaser Kits. Excellently designed and always assemble nicely. Contest quality kits with little effort.

I buy all my locos from a friend that has a second hand model railroad shop in his back yard, he has far more stock than your average Australian hobby shop, I have found like many others that when it comes to reliable smooth quiet running loco's its hard to go past Atlas and Kato, I have also purchased some quite nice Model Power and Lifelike locos that are good runners but believe that because the Kato and Atlas models run as good as new that it is testament to their build quality.

Cheers
Dave.

My locomotive collection consists of, mostly Kato, Atlas, Intermountain with a couple of Bachmans and Lifelikes thrown in for good measure. Love the relability of the katos, Fox Valley has come out with some extremely well detailed locos, and they also pull as good as the Katos.Manufacturer preference depends on what railway or era you are modelling, most of my locos are second hand,with a few that were purchased new. They all run great.

My fleet consists of 20 Atlas, 5 Intermountain, 3 Kato, 1 Lifelike, and 1 Broadway Limited. The Broadway E-8 does not like Atlas switches at slow speed, it will stall and the sound decoder starts all over. I bought one Bachman because they have a high hood GP50, I mated the body to an Atlas chassis.

It depends on what your looking for .

For the past five years Atlas (in my opinion) has been the most consistant in quality , even though they have been slipping lately . Kato still has the smoothest running Locomotive motors in any scale . Athearn has made a great strides in detailing even the lower priced rolling stock and locomotives , BUT the quality control on their Genesis Locomotives is non-existant . Broadway Limited is another top shelf company . InterMountain use to be the standard by which rolling stock was measured but then EXACTrail ( who use to manufacture Athearn Genesis rolling stock ) climbed into the ring under their own name and delivered some devastating blows to the Champion. Speaking of IMRC , I purchaced the latest locomotive offering ( ES44AC ) and am very happy with the over all quality . Mike`s Train House ( MTH ) . You either Love them or Hate them . I love them . I don`t own any Walthers locomotives but I do have a TON of their rolling stock , Auto Carriers , Auto Boxes , Spine & Well cars , and don`t get me started on Walthers \ Cornerstone Structures . They`ve damn near cornered that market. What was the question again ?

I got to say in N scale it has to be Kato for me #1! I love the locomotives but hate the limited run aspect of the lines. I also started using the Unitrak Track. I love it, the #4 switches require a small amout of mods, nothing a dremal tool and 5 minutes a switch can't fix. I just wish that they would revise their track with Code 55 rail and tighten up the tie spacing and add more Radius' to the selection and life would be Uber sweet. Either way I'm very fond of Kato..Atlas locomotives would be a close second! And walthers buildings and DPM got my vote also Price+Kitbashable=Value! N Scale has made great leaps in the past 15 years......Can't wait for the next 15!

Andy -
Re bachmann - my favorite engine right now is my Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation N Scale. It has great detail and runs like a champ. It was a little tight out of the box -- I had to loosen a few screws on the bottom just a TAD to get it running less choppy but, that done, its really nice. I like running my locos slower and more realistic and it does a fine job.

Bachmann is much-maligned due to past quality control issues, but I think they have turned a corner, got the message, and now are releasing some good stuff, specifically in the "Spectrum" line. I tend to think they were sub-par for so long that many people won't give them consideration, which I understand, but my experience is that they have improved and are worth considering. Stick with the "Spectrum" line and I think you will be happy with what you get for the money.

That said, your question was "what is your favorite manufacturer". This is distinct from whether or not they produce quality from time to time. I doubt Bachmann is going to get the "favorite" moniker from many people who are long time modelers due to past QC issues and, yes, their sheer size.

I have been an HO guy, but my 10 year old daughter has fallen in love with trains and wants to build a layout in her bedroom. The space available has dictated N scale, so we are going with Kato N unitrack. I have always liked Kato's HO stuff, and since they make a nice Super Chief in N scale, that's what I bought her for Christmas. I am impressed with the level of detail and of course, the fine running of the F7's. The Super Chief cars are awesome, and run great with no troubles at all. I wish my HO Super Chief consist looked as good! That's the extent so far of my N scale experience. Kato rocks!

Back