Favorite Locomotive

My personal favorite, as my nick implies-BR52 war locomotive which was built in thousands during WWII for the eastern front by Invading German war machine. My version is the Polish National Railways classified as Ty2: https://www.parowozowniawolsztyn.pl/ty2/
Ty2-406.jpg

As with a lot of idiosyncrasies of any war, the locomotives which were meant to conquer vast portions of Russia did not serve german army for long. Instead after the war well over a thousand of them (1407 total on polish roster), had contributed in rebuilding my war torn country (as well as most of Eastern Europe), serving in it for almost five decades. I was fortunate to see these beautifull and well proportioned decapods in regular main line service, including in my home town. My favorite diesel would have to be the Baldwin Centipede brutes, something which i will never get to see. Not mentioned in the title i don't know why-electric locomotives. One of my favorite electrics is the awesome industrial looking E33:
20230107_145640.jpg

Twelve of these were built in 1956-57 for Virginian Railway and classified EL-C. These rectifier motors served well but their lives were cut short do to politics on their last owner-Conrail. Build in the 1950s they have some semi streamlined features, like a mini cow catcher, sloped front and rear walls, rounded piece where the number boards are placed and rounded roof overhangs, all in a seemingly square brick road switcher styling. This particular model i build while in the service in the 90s.

26O%2520H7.jpg

Have there ever been any manufacturers that have considered making the 'massive' C&O H7 in plastic rather than just brass?...HO scale

I had a fellow who at one time was going to kit-bash one of my Proto 2-8-8-2 into an H7 lookalike, But it fell thru. And I wanted mine to utilize a vandy tender

Youtube video of an O scale one,....what a sound !, What a brute !

Here is a Lionel version,..

I'm with you on the "Flying Scotsman". I was lucky enough to see it up close when it was in Australia. I would have been happy if I could get my car that shiny.
I worked at Steamtown in Carnforth where she was based when Roger McAlpine owned her, and was fortunate to ride her footplate on a number of occasions, but you have no idea how many man hours went into cleaning her, and her sister's, but definately worth the effort.

Based at the National Railway Musuem in York after a £4.5 million refurb in 2016 mainly funded by public donations, BR Green and classed as an A3.

Last edited:
My favorite locomotive in the prototype would be ATSF 4-8-4 number 3751 and in HO scale would be whatever is heading up the train that I am running

My favorite locomotive in the prototype would be ATSF 4-8-4 number 3751 and in HO scale would be whatever is heading up the train that I am running
I have 3 of these HO models from Bachmann,...the latter versions. I think they will look great after a good weathering job & sound installation. They are very nice plastic engines that run good & pull very good.

I have 3 of these HO models from Bachmann,...the latter versions. I think they will look great after a good weathering job & sound installation. They are very nice plastic engines that run good & pull very good.
I have one of these without a tender, thankfully Bachmann Plus series. And yes the Plus series do run goood. They were mistakenly given 3700 series designation by Bachmann, but are actually 2900 series, slightly longer and i think best looking of all. Real 2929 has just been rebuilt in New Mexico to running condition. Beautifull beast.

My favorite locomotive in the prototype would be ATSF 4-8-4 number 3751
Broadway Limited makes an excellent representation of this locomotive, even to the bizarre prototypical placement of the compound compressor under the cab.

The larger brothers the 2900 class as Bachmann has done were never supposed to happen. The Santa Fe had already ordered diesels E6 and FTs, but the war hit and the war board forced them to take the 2900s instead. Also because of the war, the alloys that were originally planned were not available, so the 2900s ended having the distinction not only being the most powerful Northern's ever built, but also the heaviest (also not the fastest). As soon as the war was over, the Santa Fe was done with them, leaving them with the distinction of having the shortest service life of almost any locomotive ever. That is why so many got preserved through donations to citys and towns. Railroad had almost new locomotives that were displaced by diesels that no other railroad wanted to buy either.

Favorite diesel locomotive for both 1:1 and for modeling is the Alco RS-1. (Although I don’t own one…yet):)

I love the Green Mountain Railroad and rode it a few times as a child. Seeing #405 and having the chance to ride on that scenic train through rural Vermont will always remain a pleasant memory.

89F5D2F6-A84E-438F-9E39-0C24E8E8E976.jpeg

(Photo from Pinterest).

Favorite locomotive ... ? That is a tough question as there are a few engines I particularly like. On the diesel front, I would have to say that it would be a toss up between the good old F7/F3 and ES44AC's. When it comes to Steam though, I'd have to say the Mikado Heavy I think.

The GP series is my favorite 4 axle locomotive. I prefer 38's and 40's. Dash 8 series are my favorite 6 axle locomotive. I have more GP's due to tighter curves. Growing up I saw more GP's than anything else. The newer locomotives to me all look alike any more.

Back