Favorite Locomotive

Just added these to my list of favorite locomotives. Although my home layout is DC, we do need DCC at my club and I have been a bit disappointed with the way so many locomotives lack the pulling power on the grades we have at the club, which is around two and a half percent. Picked up these Walthers Mainline F-7 units. They have the exact same drive as their Proto series but do lack a bit with details. I can add these.

thumbnail_20190920_145529.jpg

I have a two and a half percent grade on my home layout and this trio pulled a 45 car train up the grade without breaking a sweat or spinning a wheel.

Although I am a big fan of Alcos I was really disappointed in how the Atlas RS-1 I had pulling the grades at the club. 10 cars and it was maxed out. Put my DC Alcos on the club layout and they could easily pull 16. As with many DCC locomotives, a lot of the weight has been removed to leave room for the decoder and speaker. Guess it's one way to get modelers to buy more locomotives.

These F-7's are brutes. Just what I needed to run with the big dogs at the club. In fact, that may have to catch up.

Last edited:
Just added these to my list of favorite locomotives. Although my home layout is DC, we do need DCC at my club and I have been a bit disappointed with the way so many locomotives lack the pulling power on the grades we have at the club, which is around two and a half percent. Picked up these Walthers Mainline F-7 units. They have the exact same drive as their Proto series but do lack a bit with details. I can add these.

View attachment 39747

I have a two and a half percent grade on my home layout and this trio pulled a 45 car train up the grade without breaking a sweat or spinning a wheel.

Although I am a big fan of Alcos I was really disappointed in how the Atlas RS-1 I had pulling the grades at the club. 10 cars and it was maxed out. Put my DC Alcos on the club layout and they could easily pull 16. As with many DCC locomotives, a lot of the weight has been removed to leave room for the decoder and speaker. Guess it's one way to get modelers to buy more locomotives.

These F-7's are brutes. Just what I needed to run with the big dogs at the club. In fact, that may have to catch up.
Wonderful shots ! Very realistic !! Great lookin' RR....M

I've always been a fan of the GN S-1 4-8-4 in the Glacier Park scheme. Big, hulking engines with the dual air pumps on the front.
bd036a91f5e513103862bd4d7ec59145.jpg
Big handsome brute !! To think, steam was everywhere in 1945, 75 years ago !! If diesel is so more efficient, then why is it one of these could haul 200 cars where it would take 5 very large diesels for same job ?...Dieselites, please don't be offended. I'm talking 1:1 scale, not 1:87 or 1:160, etc. I like a bunch of diesel, too ... M

Big handsome brute !! To think, steam was everywhere in 1945, 75 years ago !! If diesel is so more efficient, then why is it one of these could haul 200 cars where it would take 5 very large diesels for same job ?...Dieselites, please don't be offended. I'm talking 1:1 scale, not 1:87 or 1:160, etc. I like a bunch of diesel, too ... M
It wasn't an issue of efficiency, it was an issue of maintenance. The workforce and equipment to keep the steamers running was way more expensive than what it took to keep diesels running.

I haven't seen one in the thread yet, so I have to say the steam locomotive I would pick are SP's cab forwards, especially the late series AC-8/10/12's. I first saw SP #4294 at Sacramento when I was very young, I'm glad it is still there. Someday I'll get one in HO scale; I held off when the Intermountains first came out after I heard they had some teething issues, hopefully someone will produce them again eventually.

48886535607_a1c7bd3142_o.jpg

Picture taken by me, 2015.

What is your favorite steam and/or diesel locomotive in scale or prototype form? My favorite diesel is an EMD GP30 and my favorite steamer is a Baldwin Locomotive Works 4-6-4. IRM #3007 for a reference.
Cannot believe I missed this thread 4 years ago. But as the others have said it is a really hard question.

For steam I have to go with the Northern Pacific Z-6 Challenger class. They took the UP 4-6-6-4 design and carried it to its logical conclusion of power and speed. I like the Z-7 and Z-8 also but both those have the centipede tender that I don't care so much for, so the Z-6 gets my vote. As was said about the Great Northern S-2 the massiveness of the compressors and other equipment on an already massive loco, just demands attention. The poor lighting on the nose in the photo below does not really do it justice. The position of the water tower in the back ground doesn't help either. The Allegheny gets my second place.
tw52v0ln9wm61.png

For diesel it isn't any less difficult. BUT The Alco PA is hard not to pick. It is not called the glamor girl of locos for nothing. Sleek and graceful as opposed to its bull dog EMD E7 counter parts, not as old fashion looking as the early E6 slant nose competitors.
Passenger Locos.png

My second place is the EMD SD45. Always loved the slant radiators at the end of the long hood. The last one I saw in service was in Denver. Still painted in its original blue pin stripe paint and it was a 'b' unit to boot. I think this was the very unit I saw. But don't forget the gorgeous NP canoe scheme, the Southern high nose versions, the GN Hustle Muscle and the GN big sky blue. They all just made it a glorious diesel for a hood unit.
16918208771yj2io80910809908.jpg

Last edited:

Back