Fast Tracks

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
I use AnyRail to design layouts.
I found that they have Fast Tracks library with it.

I experimented a little with Fast Tracks in AnyRail.
Man O man was it a lot easier to design what you wanted.

Curved turnouts in different sizes. They tell you what the radius of the turnout is.

I went to Fast Tracks and now I am thinking it would be nice to hand lay my track.
It looks like you can build about anything you want with their jigs.

All I need to do now is fine enough money for all the stuff I want.

I saw in several post here that some people are using Fast Tracks turnouts.
Are they as easy to build as the adds say?

It looks simple in the video if you can solder and willing to take your time.
It looks almost fool proof.

Has anyone tried Fast Tracks yet?

Dale

I haven't used the Fast Track turnout template myself but a friend of mine uses it and turns out quite a few of them for sale. He claims it is just as easy as advertised. Soldering is the key skill required. If ya don't know how to solder, you will have trouble making a good turnout.

The trouble with Fast Tracks system is the cost. You have to lay a minimum of 10-12 turnouts to get the cost of each down to just $10. There are many websites and magazine articles from both MR and RMC covering turnout building. The trick is to find a method that works for you.

Fast tracks also limit you to a specific geometry that they sell. Suppose you need a 5 1/2 slightly curved turnout. You're out of luck with FT. You're also out of luck from the other makers. This is one reason why I started building my own turnouts when I was a teenager. Since I handlay my turnouts, I am not limited to any track geometry. I build what fits, whether its a curved, straight, odd angle, single slip, double, etc. I've even built dual gauge turnouts on a friends layout.

My turnouts cost an average of $3.50. Each one is built in place, and probably on my layout, maybe 5 are built to a specific turnout number. I don't use a jig.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered a jig and enough parts to build 8 - #8 turnouts.

I figured the cost of parts at about $10 to $15 a turnout.

Less than Peco and about the same as Atlas.
Hopefully a better turnout plus the fun of making them.

If all goes well I plan to order their #6 jig next.

Dale

I don't have a Fast Tracks jig, but think they are awesome. Another option is to buy the point and stock rail tools, then lay the ties on the printable templates Fast Tracks has. See Toni Ryan on youTube, that is what he is doing with great results.

I am a big fan of Fast Tracks. I purchased the #6 setup and I love it. Ive made 30 + turnouts and all of them are smooth as butter.

One thing about learning to make turnouts, including if you at first use the Fast Tracks jigs (hefty price) is that you now can make pretty much any geometry turnout you need. You simply lay the approaches using flex track and overlap the ends. Now, use a pencil and paper to make an outline by laying the paper over the rails, paper pinned for registration, and use the side of the pencil carbon to make an outline of the tracks in that location...all three exits. Take it over to the bench, start cutting and bending wire, make some PCB copper-clad ties, and get your solder iron hot. I made a two way curved turnout, a wye turnout, on my latest railroad exactly that way.

$296 and change.

For 8 turnouts that's $37 each, including materials cost, 12 drops it only to $24. 20 drops it to $14.80. Not very good on savings.

Unless you have a huge area for the layout, I can't see someone needing 20 #8 turnouts on their layout. Those turnouts are generally huge.

I use the Fast Tracks Paper templates not their jigs to build turn outs.
It takes a bit more care but then you are not limited to the turnout # of the jig (or the cost).

For those who want to try making a turnout here is a good article on how and the only cost is rail, pcb ties and solder Plus some tools, soldering iron, large file, small file, pliers, paper & pencil.
http://www.railwayeng.com/handlay6/hndly-h3.htm

...Has anyone tried Fast Tracks yet?

I started using my FastTracks #6 turnout building kit ~10 days ago. I had been wanting to do this for years but never had the money for the initial startup supplies - until recently. What drove to finally do this, is the chronic shortage of not only Atlas, but now ALL brands of factory-built turnouts!

First, I simply watched each one of the how-to videos on the CD that came with the kit - not once but 2 or 3 times. Then I made sure my laptop was within easy reach while I attempted my first build. I followed the video and paused it while I did whatever step I was on, and sometimes replayed the last sequence. Because of this, I spent nearly 8 hours from start to finish. My second build took me about 5 hours, because I was still referring back to the how-to videos on the more complex steps. Then I did my 3rd and 4th builds in slightly under 3 hours. So the practice seems to be helping me go much faster.

The how-to videos made the building process so much easier than reading thru a static text instruction document!

I am looking forward to building my Fast Tracks turnouts.
I really like that kind of work.

Ken, How long did it take you to get your order?

Dale

Dale, since FastTracks is a Canadian business, it took a bit longer than ordering something from the Lower 48 states - roughly 2 weeks, IIRC. Also, I think Tim has each jig machined-to-order, so that might delay it a few more days as well.

Say Ken & Rzw: Like Waltr, I also just use FT's printed templates adhered to a piece of plywood/chip board etc. and then covered with clear pack sealing tape. This allows me to use a light tack adhesive like glue stick, which is meant for paper, to adhere the various lengths of PC strips over the template at whatever position I want.

The main thing in using their templates like I'm explaining is to build your actual frog point section [>] first with the lead in rails cut to about the proper length. Then once this soldered in place, gauge your stock rails off the > rails and then again down to where the stock rails again narrow down to the single track gauge. The point rails need to to be ground on an long angle so they can be positioned together to form the [>] point of the frog but they do not have to meet exactly at the point, a little ways back is acceptable. It's also a good idea to champfer the leading rail head end so the loco and car wheels don't meet a flat edge but rather an angled \ .

The inside and outside of the bottom rail web that lays along each side of the > needs to be filed or ground into a [v] on each side to allow the legs along the point to be easily bent to the right angle and of course if your building a curved turnout, run the rail through your fingers while holding on to the sides of the rail to get the approximate curvature so the rail lays in place fairly naturally. Hence the term rail bende.

Getting back to FT's templates, be aware though that their tie spacing especially, where the long switch machine throw Ties extend out are no where near wide enough apart to be able to mount a Caboose Industries Switch Stand on. You may require this though? The long ties need to be spaced out almost to where the next tie would be to get the proper spacing to mount the stand securely unless you added an additional tie along side of the longer tie and you may need more width yet?

Also be aware that I've found that the printed template Rail Spacing is also off and you'll need to use some rail gauges to hold the rail in proper alignment and spacing while soldering. I like a three point type of gauge like the older Kemtron Brass 3 point ones for code 70 but others are available now too and I think the ones I have are by Micro Engineering for the code 55.

Once you get your rail in position a small block of wood to press down on the rails while soldering saves burnt fingers. I scrub the surface of the copper PC strips and pre-tin them with solder and also clean the base of the rail web and pre-tin it so then when held in position with some heat applied they solder together very easily.

Using just the template as I do allows me to custom design or tweak the turnout to what is needed for the particular situation as well. This is the beauty of building your own switches as you can custom fit them in the space you have and tweak them as is necessary. Also don't feel that all switch need to have points if your space is fairly tight as a Stub switch can save a lot of space. The trick there is routing power via a switch of one sort or another.

Back to my Curved turnout. As an example, just last week I finished building a #6 Right hand curved turnout which has an outside radius of 30"s with the inside being 21". Notice in the picture that as I needed the outside rails to start to bend outward to make an easier curve into the Engine yard on the Left I bent them to start a Left hand curve in that direction. This is the beauty of hand laying your own rail as it gives you so much more flexibility.

ardentranceCorrtd-ExportedJpg964x763-2_zps38d6861d.jpg

Kindly note my actual wood tie spacing is not corrected in this picture and looks rather odd but then again I don't try and get everything aligned perfectly as I want the look and feel of an old rural back woods railroad, but the ties here are too far off.

Notice that I place my PC strips where I feel they are going to supply the most structural strength which is double PC strips right where the actual Point of the frog is as well as double strips again leading into the frog section. This gives me a very secure frog section, I also only solder the point rails to the two PC strips just before the [>] section of the frog to allow added flex of the movement of the points.

My entire turnout is one solid piece and I even use a metal [code 55 rail bent ']' ] to solder across the points along with a brass throw rod. Your probably saying that's not possible, sure it is as I don't connect my turnouts to any of the existing block sections. They are free standing on their own, like using insulators on all connections, I use rail gaps, and I route power to the outside Stock rails and let the points deliver the proper current to the frog section. Yes all PC strips need to be gaped between the rails and those near where the points throw and actually back to those that connect near the Frog should be gaped in in three places. For about 4 or 5 PC strips back toward the Frog from the point rails & throw arm, I gap these in three places. on either side of where the point rails travel as well as again in between the point rails. This way there can be no transference of current between the + or - connections and I solder the power wires to the outside on one of the PC strips. I can't see how this same method wouldn't even work for DCC ?

Ken: With all the trouble you were having to cut the frog rails before and after using the scroll saw method, if you were planning on building many turnouts using that method it would pay you to get a small saber saw with a fine metal blade something like Micro-Mark sells. I'm not trying to plug for them but they are the only ones I know of right now that has something like that. You might have to make a little table to lay the switch on so it wouldn't jump and down but it might be a lot easier in the long run.

I hope this has been a help and easily understandable?

I build and sell Fast Tracks turnouts in HO i have a list of turnouts with prices in the wanted to buy/sell section

I just received my Fast Tracks order for my turnouts.
I reviewed all the videos again.
The first problem I ran into was where to put the throw bar cuts.
The template did not match the jig.
Hmmmm
Got that figured out.
All PCB ties sized and in place.
I forgot to order the StockAid jig.
I tried to file it free hand. I got that done but the rail is very twisted.
Hmmmmmmm.
I got the rail fairly straight and it looked fairly good in the jig.
I soldered the stock rail in place.
Most of the PCB ties now pop out of the jig.
Hmmmmmm.
Good thing I ordered extra PCB ties and rail.
I think I will start over again on this one.
This only took me about 3 1/2 hours so far.
Think I will quit for the night and wait for the StockAid tool I ordered.

Dale

Back