Fast Cars

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I've been playing w/my rolling stock on downhill runs. I have a fairly steep grade that I test all my rolling stock on. What I do is release the cars at the top of the hill & if they roll down w/out any help all the way to the bottom of the track I don't mess w/the wheels or axles & I run these cars in long trains.
The running area for these cars is about 30ft. long for the test.
All these years of pulling long trains I have had some trouble w/cars in the middle tipping over or cars right against the engine derailing.
I have found that the cars that are free wheeling in long & short turns tend to stay on the tracks a lot easier.
I don't have metal wheels on all of them either. I would like to have the better wheel sets, but w/250 freight cars & 50 passenger cars it would be terribly expensive. Over the years I have acquired some brass wheel & axle sets that I use on some of the better cars. But, I keep my rails pretty clean & the plastic wheeled cars seem to do OK.
The other day I hooked up 30 of these fast cars & pulled them w/out 1 derailment. Then I added another 10 & then another 10. Love it, Long trains.
Just a thought for some maintenance on those slow movers.
I have a big box of cars that I have to work on in the near future to make them "Fast Cars". Maybe I can find some metal wheelsets at the next trainshow in Ft.Myers.

Back