Facia material

Stumpy, that looks good. Do you cut 1st and fit the scenery or scenery 1st then cut to match the scenery contours. I cut last as my imagination for ground contours is not very advanced. I use either a jig saw but additionally clamp the area I am cutting.
D0C63B05-C640-4959-A5EE-89803BFEA6BA.jpeg

FB821B72-EEA7-4F7C-ABA0-F77784E048A6.jpeg

Thank you.

Scenery first. Cut the facia full height on the table saw, then clamp to the benchwork and trace the contours as close as possible. Then the jigsaw. Then clamp it to the benchwork again and mark any needed adjustments which are then done with the drum sander.

I countersink the selected anchor points during the pre-drill (I pre-drill every screw hole during layout construction), then mount the fascia elements using small wood screws, and then paint over the screw heads, taking some care not to fill the working head surfaces to the extent that backing them out later will be a pain.

Tom's work above looks very nice.

More photos please Selector, layout is looking sharp !
Regrettably, I never got much past that stage on that layout, now torn down as of 2015. I was able to run trains around the double loop mains, but as you can see, scenery was sparse, and the yard complex never did come to completion. We moved.

The large 6' helix-under-a-mountain (I could slide back the top of the mountain and stand in the middle):

index.php

This scene is emerging from the far side of the mountain in the first photo I posted earlier:

index.php

The skirting is very nice. I talked to my wife about buying some material and sewing the skirting up for me. I was surprised when she agreed to do it. We will see how the project turns out. She may have over committed. We could end up with a big load of material on our hands and no place to use it. :-(
Have her check and see if a "gathering foot" is available for her machine. It will make her life much easier.

Have her check and see if a "gathering foot" is available for her machine. It will make her life much easier.
She says her plan is to iron in the pleats, pin them, and then sew them. She says I am the designated iron and pinning person. Then she will run the sewing machine. This operation may not end well. o_O 42 years of marriage will be put to the test.😗

Last edited:
She says her plan is to iron in the pleats, pin them, and then sow them. She says I am the designated iron and pinning person. Then she will run the sowing machine. This operation may not end well. o_O 42 years of marriage will be put to the test.😗

I wouldn't fret it to much , its not that big of deal . Besides after 42 years you probably need a change. It'll give you a chance to explore you sexuality , IF you have any left.

I wouldn't fret it to much , its not that big of deal . Besides after 42 years you probably need a change. It'll give you a chance to explore you sexuality , IF you have any left.

I have so many responses to this one but I will keep them inside and continue laughing. Terry thinks this is a funny thread. She also said fascia can be foam edge. One of my pictures above she said has no hardboard, it’s painted foam

TomO

I have so many responses to this one but I will keep them inside and continue laughing. Terry thinks this is a funny thread. She also said fascia can be foam edge. One of my pictures above she said has no hardboard, it’s painted foam

TomO

I keep everthing straight or mitered corners and used plain old foil backed (isocyanurate ?) foam. Its lot easier to handle , just cut 5" strips lay them up and mark with a utility knife. One man job.
Fascia.JPG

TomO

I wanted try foam because I wanted it held on with magnets in certain places to get access to the hidden yard without having to unscrew something.

Hiddenyard.JPG

I cut last as my imagination for ground contours is not very advanced. I use either a jig saw but additionally clamp the area I am cutting.

you might find it easier to use a a piece of cardboard for complex curves , cut a piece to the same rough size , hold it against the scenery , trace and the cut it, now you have a pattern to lay on top of the hardboard.

Back