external sound system....any good?

wongsing

I have noticed the high price of fancier locos that have on board sound systems to make them sound quite realistic. Although I'm in no hurry to build a super realistic layout, paying 200.00 + dollars for a locomotive like that seems far fetched. I notice that there are external sound sytems that seem pretty easy to use. Are they worth it or should I just do without. Most of the ones I've seen are made by MRC who make lots of great model kits (mostly aircraft) and seemingly good electronic model RR equipment as well. Any insight on this? Seems like a good idea for not such a big layout that I'm building (4x8)....

-Rich

That's all in personal choice. I have both. (If your talking about a speaker set up connected to a separate transformer.) I have both types of speaker kits...one is just a punch controller with short sound loops...It's ok for a little bit or on a small layout. Only problem I didn't like is its not continuous.....and doesn't disappear when the engine does, nor is synchronized with the engine...I also have one that has a layout mounted speaker and an on board speaker that rides in a cattle car...This seemed more prototypical but it has interference and came and went on a large layout (had signal and then didn't)...Allot of friends that aren't into modeling will like the speaker sound because they never heard anything else, (thinking it's cool) and even the same guy won't appreciate what went into a DCC w/ sound (because they don't understand the difference) If you bargain shop you can get a sounded engine for less than $150 and you'll be impressed when it travels past you the first time and the sound "fits" what the engine is doing in speed, bell, horn, and screeching brakes. It's hard to beat! I know I brag up the Broadway LTD M-1 allot but once you hear it, it spoils ya...and only $113!!

Back