External buttons to control a dcc system

Tcmrailway

Hi guys first time poster, I work for a children's museum we have a 3 track o scale layout that's quite archaic looking to upgrade each track one by one to a dcc system problem is we have buttons that control the individual tracks ie you push a button for one track the train makes two laps. I didn't design the layout but I have a book explaining the design. My question is is there anyway to make a dcc system work this way?

What causes the train to stop after two laps? Presumably you now have some sort of relay with a timer and perhaps a detector that stops the train in the same place it starts? If so, you probably could just connect the same setup in one feeder wire to that loop of track.

w

What is the reason for converting to DCC to begin with? Seems that if it works fine now, why go through the trouble. If it's sound, that could be fixed with a sound loop.

Couple of reasons we are using postwar transformers and I'm looking to modernize it with some updated equipment. I have what appears to be a newer engine that doesn't run very well on my setup don't have any info for it in front of me. The picture appears to be the controller for the tracks, never thought of adding a sound loop this is all new we had a group of guys taking care of it for us but they are mia

Attachments

• 20210528_165806.jpg
    20210528_165806.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 107
The engine that doesn't run well probably just needs the wheels and center contact cleaned. There may not be anything wrong with a postwar transformer. My brother uses several of them, all Lionel. A couple of KW's and some ZW's, although those are from the 50's. Worst thing is that the power cords need replacing; anyone with a little knowledge can do that. Maybe there's a local hobby shop that could help. As for the guys that are MIA, perhaps one can be tracked down and you could get a quick tutorial.
Where are you located, maybe there's a member here that's close by and might be able to help.

Hi guys first time poster, I work for a children's museum we have a 3 track o scale layout that's quite archaic looking to upgrade each track one by one to a dcc system problem is we have buttons that control the individual tracks ie you push a button for one track the train makes two laps. I didn't design the layout but I have a book explaining the design. My question is is there anyway to make a dcc system work this way?
Short answer is yes. The rest of the story is that there is so much here to consider. First I assume this is two rail o-scale not Lionel 3 rail type stuff.
1. Are you planning on using existing locomotives (It sounds like yes), then they will need to be outfitted with sound decoders. Depending on how much current they draw there might be limited options. Most decoders are configured for the power needs of HO and N. Phoenix Sound is one made specifically for large scale locos.
2. Probably the easiest way is to add a computer interface to the DCC system. Let the computer start and stop the train.
3. Will need to get a piece of detection equipment like the NCE BD20. This in conjunction with a signal controller will be used for the computer to count two laps and stop the loco.
4. Start button input - there are probably 10s of ways to do it, but the first thing I thought of was use a turnout sensor and make the button pretend like it is a turnout. OR one could use the existing buttons threading the blue wire through the detector (as #3) above, once again to signal the computer to start the train.

There are lots of hardware and software choices that all do similar things to configure into the system you need. I did a quick search for circuits with auto stop in conjunction with signals and there seem to be a plethora of ideas that could be adapted.

Sorry for the late reply but the tracks are 3 rail gargrave tracks from the looks of it have two dcc loco's already if I post pictures can you guys help identify them?

Back