Expansion of the Atlas-HO-15 "Minimum-size twice around" wiring problems

wayles3

I am working with the Atlas HO-15 "Minimum - size twice around" track plan. I have it up and running. The wiring described in the plan book #11 was helpful. Now look at this option : I came off the bottom or top spur and continued to make an up and over ovel that comes back into the inside spur. The main layout is run be DC power, (1) transformer (for track power and switches). There is another transformer for the lights. All the plastic insulators are placed correctly on the main plan. Now with the extension of the up and over ovel I added, I am having problems with the placement of the new plastic insulators and running off the main transformer. I does not work. Do I need a separate transformer for this ovel? Where to place the insulators? Any help is needed. I am not running DCC.

Is it the top one left one?

Attachments

• 1583237045286.jpeg
    1583237045286.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 274
This is what I am looking for. Need help in wiring in the Atlas #220 controller and placement of the insulated rail joiners. Any ideas, diagrams or pictures would be helpful.
Looking at this plan: I am coming off the top track (using it as the mainline), coming around putting in (3) truss bridges then coming around and go under the truss bridge and connecting back to the middle line. Does that make any since?

Atlas used to sell a wiring book that explained the use of their electrical components in detail. It was generally sold along with the track plan books.

This is what I am looking for. Need help in wiring in the Atlas #220 controller and placement of the insulated rail joiners. Any ideas, diagrams or pictures would be helpful.
Looking at this plan: I am coming off the top track (using it as the mainline), coming around putting in (3) truss bridges then coming around and go under the truss bridge and connecting back to the middle line. Does that make any since?
Because you still didn't say if the diagram I posted is what you meant, I am still guessing but the 220 controller the X and Y (yellow and green) go to the reversing section. The C(red - not to be confused with the "new" red track) and top right output (black) go to all the main. As below. The four purple dots are where insulated joiners would have to be for this expansion. This is in addition to all the other normal insulated joiners shown in the plan. I drew this track with Atlas Right Track software (RTS).

MinimumTwiceAroundwcontrolnwires.jpg

Guys are correct above..
One teensy nit pick: In DC analog HO or N the controller is referred to as a 'powerpack', not a 'transformer'. A 'transformer' is analog AC power for trains such as O scale, Lionel, or S scale, American Flyer..

I installed the Atlas #220 controller. Everything works fine, except when the train comes back at the middle or center spur (where the (2) insulated joiners are.... the train stops. I was going by the picture off the #220 controller. The main line connection works fine. Any suggestions?
While the train is in the loop, you have to switch the red switch on the controller so it won't short when re-joining the main on the other side.

The operator has to keep track of which way the red and grey switches are aligned. They are both just direction switches. Red for main, grey for reversing loop.

Last edited:
Thanks to everybody for your information on this set up. i will work on this, to see if it works. I will give you my results next week.

Just to throw a little more confusion into this...
You can wire LED's across the insulated gaps that will show which way the power to the loop is with green or red.
You’ll know at a glance if it’s ok to proceed.

Back