Examining the On30 Bachmann Outside Frame 2-8-0

hminky

We examine the On30 Bachmann consolidation at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_280/

of_280.jpg

If you are thinking about On30 ya gotta get one of these.

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Harold,

Do you think that this engine has enough tolerance at the wheels to be modified into a On3 locomotive?
The distance between the wheels in On3 are 1/8 of an inch larger than On30.
I'm looking forward to your reply.
Sincerely
Constantin

Bob Brown in the latest Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette reports that it can and has be done.
I believe the locomotive was a standard Mexican three foot gauge locomotive that was 30 inch gauged for the Zacatalan branch which had been regauged from two foot.
The Zacatlan branch Consolidations are even heavy for a typical Mexican three footer. Since the locomotive was made from the Zacatalan branch survivor in Montana it should be a three footer.

Harold

The distance between the wheels and the frame is .074 per side and the difference in gauge is .050 per side. It should work.

Harold

Okay, what part of it is the frame, and what is it outside of that makes it different from other steam locos?

JeffShultz said:
Okay, what part of it is the frame, and what is it outside of that makes it different from other steam locos?

The frame is the under carriage where the wheels ride, on most standard gauge locomotives the frame is inside the wheels. On narrow gauge and early standard gauge locomotives the frame was put outside the wheels.

It gave the early Stephenson valve gear more room and also gives a more stable footprint on narrow gauge locomotives.

Harold

hminky said:
The distance between the wheels and the frame is .074 per side and the difference in gauge is .050 per side. It should work.

Harold
Harold,
Thank you for the info.

I have visited your website many times and liked it very much.
By the way, did you go back to On30?
If you did, than I believe that this was a wise decission.
I'm looking forward to updates on your website. Keep up the good work.
Sincerely
Constantin

narrowgaugecdb said:
Harold,
Thank you for the info.

I have visited your website many times and liked it very much.
By the way, did you go back to On30?
If you did, than I believe that this was a wise decission.
I'm looking forward to updates on your website. Keep up the good work.
Sincerely
Constantin

Yes, the old eyes don't see small anymore. The 1870's in OO/HO was a good concept but I was working less and less on equipment. Seeing the Bachmann Consolidation sealed my return to On30.

Right now I am putting a Tsunami in it and backdating the loco to 1905. I should have an article by next week:eek: .

Harold

Hey Harold,

FYI, I have bought the same locomotive from Bachmann yesterday morning @ Caboose Hobbies in Denver.
I will try to modify it into an On3 machine.
I will let you know how it went later on.

Have a nice day.
Constantin De Bock

Back