EXACTRAIL - Anyone taking the 'plunge'?

HF1

I would be interested in knowing if anyone out there in the HO community has or does plan to purchase any of the new releases from Exactrail's recent announcement.
Having been very vocal about their decision to go direct in a few discussions with Blaine Hatfield, I'm finding it very interesting to notice Exactrail's namesake 'presence' has nearly vanished from discussion in my local circles and hobby shops.
"It's as though they[Exactrail] never existed", commented on of my fellow modelers at a recent event.
Well, with Exactrail finally announcing their first truely NEW product(s) since the decision to go Direct Marketing, I'm curious if anyone is willing to pay the 'pre-order' advertised price of $46.95 for the Thrall 'Opera Window' Centerbeam Flat Car, which is now available.

While this car is unique in its design and it may appeal to modelers in the 70's era, I'm not so sure this was a car to launch as the first available directly from Exactrail.
I swallowed very hard and cringed a little when Atlas announced the price for the MasterSeries 73' Gunderson Center Partition car, of which the second run was greatly improved in terms of quality.
Even as pricey as the Atlas offering is, I was still willing to buy several, as the car appealed to my own tastes, and fitted into the modern era that I model.
With the Exactrail offering, I was hoping(and expecting) for something a little more universally popular but not previously done.
No particular model comes to mind at this moment but we all have our favorites and you know what I mean.
The Opera Window Thrall car just seems a little odd of a choice and is a rather obscure choice IMHO.
It has been done before - in a kit form by McKean Models.(it was never a very good kit)
With all of the desired freight cars that have never been offered, I guess I was expecting a 'blockbuster' - something to get people to re-consider buying direct from Exactrail. This isn't it.

I don't care much about the fact that the center partition is made of brass or that the individual ratchet castings are all separate parts - $60 MSRP and a 46.95 Pre-order price does not impress me enough to want to buy one.
Of course, all of this is just based on my own observations and I just would like to hear from anyone else out there that may have a different slant on the new offering.

When it comes to freight cars, I want to see and touch what I'm buying. Sorry but that's how it is. I have no objections to pre-ordering if it's something I want, but I want the option of refusal if the model does not live up to expectations. I have reserved brass models and taken delivery sight unseen, however the company had a history of good service and I was able to see a pilot model.

The lion's share of their offerings are too new for me, but I hope this business model does not make their situation worse instead of better.

Exactrail would have to make something really special that I cant live without for me to buy any of their products. I am not a fan of how they screwed their dealers which made them a Co. and moved a lot of their items. BTW the lumber flat is $64.95 MSRP. My opinion is the MSRP is high so it looks like your getting a good deal from them but I can almost 98% garuntee you that if they never went direct MSRP would be around $45 - $50. The Atlas 2nd run of Lumber cars had a MSRP of $46.95 and its roughly the same build using brass and plastic parts. Now the Atlas dealer discount is 40% off + 12% or more which makes the car $24.78 to most dealers and some get a bigger discount. Intermountain is the same with thier stuff and one car that comes to mind using Brass and Plastic Construction is the Procor Pressure Flow Hopper which has a retail of $36.95 for the newest run which makes dealer cost $22.17. So I say ER's MSRP is BS and its just made up to make people feel like they are getting a great deal which in fact they arent. If someon wants to support ER go ahead but I am currently against them for reasons stated above.

I pre ordered 4 of the BN cars. I agree that the $47 price is a bit on the high side, but you have to put it in perspective. The 40 plus year old Athearn PS4740 lists at $30 now, and the ACF 2970 CF CHC's list price is getting perilously close to $50. With Horizons reduced dealer terms, don't count on getting 20% off. With the free shipping over $50 policy, I am not sure that Exact Rail is not competitive with others on price. I would love to be able to see it before I buy, but living in a small market, means I have commited dollars long before I get to see the product. I guess I will have to live with pictures of the preproduction model.

Bill

I would be interested in knowing if anyone out there in the HO community has or does plan to purchase any of the new releases from Exactrail's recent announcement.
Unfortunately, no. I have so many items on my "to get" list, I have stopped adding new things.

I pre ordered 4 of the BN cars. I agree that the $47 price is a bit on the high side, but you have to put it in perspective. The 40 plus year old Athearn PS4740 lists at $30 now, and the ACF 2970 CF CHC's list price is getting perilously close to $50. With Horizons reduced dealer terms, don't count on getting 20% off. With the free shipping over $50 policy, I am not sure that Exact Rail is not competitive with others on price. I would love to be able to see it before I buy, but living in a small market, means I have commited dollars long before I get to see the product. I guess I will have to live with pictures of the preproduction model.

Bill

The ExactRail centrebeam car is also a very complex model. Over on another list/forum, ER's representative mentioned that the car contains 125+ separate parts, and contains both plastic and etched brass components (the center panel is etched brass to get the appropriate thinness). He said it is by far the most complex and intensive model they've produced to date.

Intermountain is the same with thier stuff and one car that comes to mind using Brass and Plastic Construction is the Procor Pressure Flow Hopper which has a retail of $36.95

See above comment about the stated complexity and high part count of the new ExactRail car. I have one of the IMRC Procor hoppers in my build pile and it's nowhere near that complicated.

Although, to answer the original question, I probably won't be getting any of the centrebeam cars as I don't really have a need for them. I'd sorely love for ExactRail to re-run their CP 65' gondola though.

See above comment about the stated complexity and high part count of the new ExactRail car. I have one of the IMRC Procor hoppers in my build pile and it's nowhere near that complicated.

Are you sure we are talking about the same cars as the Procor car was RTR and not a kit but the bolsters and ends are all brass etchings on the car which maybe isnt as complex as the ER car but pretty close and so is the Atlas 73' centerbeam which is also close in complexity.

48901wCanadienSide.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MGSWY

All of Intermountain's products are also available as undecorated kits.

Oh ya that's true. I forgot to look there, either way I am just comparing models with similar construction and yes the ER car may have a few more parts it doesn't justify the $65 MSRP. I would like to see a unpainted sample to see the multitude of parts on it and see what is brass and what is plastic to make a better determination.

In a word, 'maybe'. But if I did buy something from them direct it would be something I'm really looking for/wanted a long time/couldnt model without and at least two items so that Id get free shipping. I was at my tipping point on price when they were shipping to dealers with $36.95 mrsp. The opera lumber car does not interest me. The $46.95 mrsp with no dealer cut makes me question the 'streamlining' Exactrail said the customer would see with direct order. I won't be ordering it.

Unfortunately, no. I have so many items on my "to get" list, I have stopped adding new things.

same here, and I prefer to wait till its released as it lets others work out the bugs ;) I like to see and feel the model in my hands first before buying it and testing it with the engine(s) that I plan to run it with...

Exactrail would have to make something really special that I cant live without for me to buy any of their products. I am not a fan of how they screwed their dealers which made them a Co. and moved a lot of their items. BTW the lumber flat is $64.95 MSRP. My opinion is the MSRP is high so it looks like your getting a good deal from them but I can almost 98% garuntee you that if they never went direct MSRP would be around $45 - $50. The Atlas 2nd run of Lumber cars had a MSRP of $46.95 and its roughly the same build using brass and plastic parts. Now the Atlas dealer discount is 40% off + 12% or more which makes the car $24.78 to most dealers and some get a bigger discount. Intermountain is the same with thier stuff and one car that comes to mind using Brass and Plastic Construction is the Procor Pressure Flow Hopper which has a retail of $36.95 for the newest run which makes dealer cost $22.17. So I say ER's MSRP is BS and its just made up to make people feel like they are getting a great deal which in fact they arent. If someon wants to support ER go ahead but I am currently against them for reasons stated above.

I couldn't agree more!

I have ONE ExactRail car and it will probably be my last. The ones that were upwards of $40 at the LHS look great and they use quality parts. The ones that are around $25 have worse quality than an Athearn RTR. When I bought my depressing center flat (depressing because it's a foobie) I had to replace the wheels because the axles were some kind of plastic that I suspect is not delrin, and there was so much flash in the trucks, I simply chucked them instead of trying to clean them out. When that car came out of the box, it dragged like a brick.... an underweight brick.

Exactrail is notorious for this. The lower priced items use cheap trucks, cheap wheels, and Kadee #5s (or something similar. The higher priced items use decent trucks, metal wheels on metal axles, and Kadee #58s.

I understand that they have different product lines to cater to people with different budgets, but even when they were available at hobby/train stores, to me, they were still ridiculously expensive and not worth the price.

I couldn't agree more!

I have ONE ExactRail car and it will probably be my last. The ones that were upwards of $40 at the LHS look great and they use quality parts. The ones that are around $25 have worse quality than an Athearn RTR.

ExactRail seems to make some nice stuff and I simply buy what is appropriate to my era and local and what seems to be a good match to the appropriate prototypes.

I'm assuming perhaps that a $25 ExactRail car may be as an example the 50' Gunderson 5200 box car - sure they have molded on ladders but they look quite decent and appear to be good matches for real cars that ran in the 70's. If I didn't get them, that would be one prototype I could not run or would have to scratch build.

We've had the rediculous price discussion ad nauseum so no more comments there.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it was an easy decision, MRSP plus shipping to Canada, means I have bought my last ExactRail car. Then again my LHS charges MSRP plus a Canadian markup, which means I take most of my business online now.

Back