Eraser fun part deux ( dial up warning )

phatpony

Only this time no eraser was used. My victim this time is an Athearn BN 50' boxcar. I shaved off the stirrups (2 were already broken off) and the grab irons on the sides. I bent .020 wire for the stirrups and used .015 wire for the grabs. The first step I used for the weathering was to use a wash of white pastel chalk in water and a splash of rubbing alky. After that dried, I took a stiff bristle brush to smooth it all out. I then applied a very light coat of Dullcote. After that dried I mixed up some acrylic artist paints and painted on the rust. I still need to do the trucks, but other than that, I think it looks pretty OK. The pictures seem to show off the rust too much (especially on the top, light is directly above it), but in person it looks real nice, especially using the 3 foot rule. I finished it off by applying black pastel chalk to the ends only.

Let me know what you think.

Glenn

Excellent Glenn!! You are definately getting the hang of ruining your cars (in a good way) they look great, you captured that rusty look well, the roof is really good.

A couple more like that and you can give the next weathering clinic. Heck you can start now :)

That looks excellent Glenn! Don't think I would call it a victim, I would call it an awesome piece of rolling stock!
Chris

Thanks for all the kind responses. I actually enjoy doing this, I figured it would be drugery, but nope, it is a release of sorts. I have a few more cars cooking up, stay tuned.

Glenn

Just don't think the family car would look better weathered ;) Though I have to admit, I did think about it once outloud, my arm still hurts where my girlfriend punched me...

Has anyone ever used ground cinnamon as a base material for simulating rust ? I brought some back to Baghdad from home to try out on a couple of cars I am working on here in the IZ. The BN Boxcar looks great ! What did you use to gunk up the trucks?

Mike S

The car body looks great Glenn, now them trucks and wheels, more rust! :D

Nice work
Cheers Willis

msherbak11 said:
Has anyone ever used ground cinnamon as a base material for simulating rust ? I brought some back to Baghdad from home to try out on a couple of cars I am working on here in the IZ. The BN Boxcar looks great ! What did you use to gunk up the trucks?

Mike S
First a coat of dullcote, then laid on some burn umber artist acrylic (watered down a little), and then dusted them with some yellowish pastel chalk, just to get them dirty. It is by far my weakest link, trucks are harder to color than one would think. I'll keep at it and come up with the magic combo one day.

Glenn

I like the look of Burnt Sienna with a thin wash of nutmeg brown one some. But I switch it up eveyr time, trying to get different looks. Most of my trucks that I like, are either Atlas, Kadee, or Athearn Genisus trucks, blackened metal. *Can only do trucks and roofs, I dunno how to do all the technical stuff, like the rust spots on the sides or stuff, I can faid too...*

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2642&d=1136696405

Question for you "good" weathering fools, replicating diesel fuel spills on fuel tanks!? How?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back