Enough is Enough! (A dream deferred)

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Well, it seemed like a great idea at the outset: By excavating a few 13” pits in my layout, I would install turntables, so visitors with steam locos could run their non-articulated main line power in point-to-point operations. Space limitations would not allow me to install any ‘wye’ trackage, and the longest turntable I could hope to fit was the Walthers 90-footer. (Click HERE to see track plan)

I’ve learned a few things in the meantime that make the cost exceed any anticipated benefits:
(1) Installing a turntable is a major engineering project, whether scratchbuilding or using a kit [can’t afford even one built-up, let alone two!];
(2) most of my steam-loving friends own models that are too long to fit on a 90-foot turntable;
(3) steamer guest visits will be few and far-between;
(4) they can still do railfan-style ‘loop’ operations on the mainline;
(5) I would have to sacrifice at least 2 potential trackside switching industries to accommodate these turntables.

To paraphrase Rick Nelson’s immortal lyrics from his hit song Garden Party: since “you can’t please everyone, you’ve got to please yourself.” So I sadly announce that the Iron Belt turntable installation project has been placed on indefinite “hold” – sorry about that, gang! [But I do hope you’ll still drop by if you’re in the neighborhood…]:D

there is always the 0-5-0 turntable
LOL for sure, especially a 2-10-4 & tender not to mention the articulated locos :D

13.gif
Willis

well there is always adding a small section of track at the end of the table that is pivoted, to spin just like a turntable, yet not take away from the workings of the Point to point area.

I'm not sure I would have even entertained the idea. Lot of trouble and expense for something that takes up so much space and resources. Let your steamer friends run your Atlas Gold CSX. If that doesn't satisfy them get new friends.

PS I got sound for my Altas GP-38. Going to install it this weekend.

SpaceMouse said:
PS I got sound for my Altas GP-38. Going to install it this weekend.
What sound decoder [make & model] did you get? Remember the GP-38 (both original and dash-2) prime mover is normally aspirated, making it sound more like a first-generation EMD than a 2nd generation unit.

Ken;

So what if your road ain't freindly to steamers. My road ain't friendly to die-easels either. I have no die-easel facilities whatsoever on my plan. Any visiting die-easel has to bring his own fuel. We can supply them with all the sand and water they need, provided they can take the water thru the top of the loco!

Cjcrescent said:
Ken;

So what if your road ain't freindly to steamers. My road ain't friendly to die-easels either. I have no die-easel facilities whatsoever on my plan. Any visiting die-easel has to bring his own fuel. We can supply them with all the sand and water they need, provided they can take the water thru the top of the loco!

My layout ain't friendly to coal burners. If you want to run my layout you'll need oil-burners from around 1885.

Just try to find one you can bring.:eek: :D

CSX_road_slug said:
What sound decoder [make & model] did you get? Remember the GP-38 (both original and dash-2) prime mover is normally aspirated, making it sound more like a first-generation EMD than a 2nd generation unit.

I got a Soundtrax recommended by Ken at Tony's. I'm not sure of the exact model, but I won't know the difference.

CSX_road_slug said:
Well, it seemed like a great idea at the outset: By excavating a few 13” pits in my layout, I would install turntables, so visitors with steam locos could run their non-articulated main line power in point-to-point operations. Space limitations would not allow me to install any ‘wye’ trackage, and the longest turntable I could hope to fit was the Walthers 90-footer. (Click HERE to see track plan)

I’ve learned a few things in the meantime that make the cost exceed any anticipated benefits:
(1) Installing a turntable is a major engineering project, whether scratchbuilding or using a kit [can’t afford even one built-up, let alone two!];
(2) most of my steam-loving friends own models that are too long to fit on a 90-foot turntable;
(3) steamer guest visits will be few and far-between;
(4) they can still do railfan-style ‘loop’ operations on the mainline;
(5) I would have to sacrifice at least 2 potential trackside switching industries to accommodate these turntables.

To paraphrase Rick Nelson’s immortal lyrics from his hit song Garden Party: since “you can’t please everyone, you’ve got to please yourself.” So I sadly announce that the Iron Belt turntable installation project has been placed on indefinite “hold” – sorry about that, gang! [But I do hope you’ll still drop by if you’re in the neighborhood…]:D

At this point in my layout building, I tend to agree with you. Turntables seem to be big space eaters and require a degree in engineering from Georgia Tech to install. Heck, I have trouble getting grades and turnouts right! :)
Seriously though, on my medium size layout, I thought about it but since I like steam, such as in 2-6-6-4 articulated, the cost and the amount of space taken was a little too much. NOW.... if I had the experience at modeling (or just was good at these things) and had the space to spare, it would be another ballgame altogether.
Jarrell

Back