Enjoying the process

ggp

ggp
I am very new to modeling, but very much enjoying the process...These are a few pic's of a mountain which I have been working on...It was constructed by using wads of paper, then a cover of plaster cloth and I kept building it up in that manner, until I was satisfied with the look...next came a covering of mold a scene, also building it up until I was satisfied with the look...then came the painting which I found to be the hardest (trying to get realism) I am now quite satisfied with the overall look and in the process of adding vegetation and a glacier at the top. Please feel free to comment.

P1000656.png

P1000660.png

P1000655-1.png

That mountain scene looks great, especially the glacier, a very realistic looking effect. Do you want to go into a bit more detail on how you did it? :D
Keep the photos coming as you get more done, it's coming along great

Cheers
Willis

That mountain scene looks great, especially the glacier, a very realistic looking effect. Do you want to go into a bit more detail on how you did it? :D
Keep the photos coming as you get more done, it's coming along great

Cheers
Willis

Thanks...I just used a little white glue mixed with water...brushed it on where I wanted the snow to stick...I then sprinkled on some very fine white plastic called Fresh Fallen Snow which my wife found in a craft shop...I continued to sprinkle more snow on until I got the effect that you see in the pictures...I didn't apply anymore glue after the first few applications as it tended to flatten everything out and I wanted that fresh fallen snow effect on top.

Gary, I really like your mountain but those trees have got to go. They don't look like real trees and the size is way out of proportion to the mountains behind them. You want smaller trees in the foreground and even smaller trees in the background, up to the tree line. This called forced perspective and will give the viewer the impression that mountain is larger and further away than it really is.

Gary, I really like your mountain but those trees have got to go. They don't look like real trees and the size is way out of proportion to the mountains behind them. You want smaller trees in the foreground and even smaller trees in the background, up to the tree line. This called forced perspective and will give the viewer the impression that mountain is larger and further away than it really is.

Yes I totally understand perspective, however those trees are my representation of Giant Red Woods, which are huge (big enough to drive a vehicle thru) In fact I have stood beside trees of that size in northern California...They are magnificent and make everything else look like a tooth pic...I realize on a small layout such as this that they may not look as realistic as they could, however all who have seen them (up close and personal) have really liked them, but the main thing is, that I like them. Please consider also that the camera does not give good depth perception. I took you're comments from my previous thread and got rid of some but not all of the lichen...Thanks for you comments, they are very much appreciated.

Gary, I understand what you're trying to do. I lived in the Redwood Empire of northern California for 27 years so I'm very familiar with how Redwoods look. What you are modeling is the Giant Sequoia, since Redwoods grow only in a narrow coastal strip and generally below 3,000 feet. These grow in the Sierra's and are rarely found above 6,000 feet. You have these at a tunnel portal of a mountain which must be at least 12,000 feet to have a snow cap. To my eye, they look way out of propertion to the surrounding scenery. If you're happy with them, don't worry about it, it's just one man's opinion.

A few more pic's...I have made a few trees (still more to make)...added a small scene with some campers (hikers), and done a little track ballasting.

P1000953.png

P1000986.png

P1010004.png

P1010009.png

Beautiful work Gary, i love all the scenery work you do, and these last pics are sweet!! Keep up the great work!!

Back