Engine consists....

IIRC, rules prevent most switchers from being used as first or last due to their non-centering couplers (that may be the wrong term). SP was always the King of Kludge, not uncommon to see SDs, GPs and SW and even slugs in a consist towards the end of their time. All with a heavy rust coating.

It’s not uncommon to see even UP have a switcher in the set, usually however it is in-transit and pitching in to help where it can on the way. Here one that photobombed between 2 Heritage units back in 2006.

Attachments

• IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 184
The term is "non-alignment controlled couplers" and yes a lot of older engines had them, road units too. What it means is that under "buff" forces the couplers will swing to one side and could cause a derailment (one of the first derailments I investigated back in the 1980's was cause by a consist of GP18's and GP7's with non-alignment controlled couplers shoving a cut with the brakes not fully released.)

Most modern freight engines have alignment controlled couplers. The SW1500 in the picture has Flexicoil trucks and alignment control couplers, but is speed restricted to 50 mph by the UP.

To see some truly interesting power lashups, check out old photos of UP trains in the late 1960s and early 1970s. There's a reason why many people thought UP stood for Unlimited Power!

Gas turbines coupled to SD24B units or GP30s? Sure, why not, as long as it moved the train over Sherman Hill or whatever.

The MILW built special controllers for the Little Joes so the Joes could be lead units sometime in the early 1960s. That saved on having a second crew to run the diesels, and got the trains through the electrified territory much faster.

The pics that I was talking about, in the beginning of the thread...

DSC_1360_zpsodhapxwn.jpg

Milwaukee Road Locomotives Vol. 4 by Thomas J. Strauss and Chione Collection...

DSC_1359_zpsfk8qodv7.jpg

Milwaukee Road Locomotives Vol. 4 by Thomas J. Strauss, D. L. Zeutschel and Chione Collection...

This is a classic as well, I think....

7615.1313030968_zpsrburehed.jpg

I have a couple Baldwin S-12 and wondered how to hook them up, here are some examples I found:

I thought you would want this one first: Athearn makes a model of this, but got the handrails wrong.

s-12Milw.jpg

S-12 (3).jpg

S-12(4).jpg

S-12.jpg

I was trying to figure out how to face the loco's but I guess it doesn't matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Logandsawman:

Since these are end cab switchers, it doesn't matter how you face them. As low speed locos, they were typically used in yards and on locals. Lots of back of forth, and with the cab on one end, it gave the engineer visibility at three of the four corners to watch the brakeman.

Logandsawman:

Since these are end cab switchers, it doesn't matter how you face them. As low speed locos, they were typically used in yards and on locals. Lots of back of forth, and with the cab on one end, it gave the engineer visibility at three of the four corners to watch the brakeman.

It could make a difference which end points which ways because if you look closely, not all of those engines have MU on the leading ends. The MILW and the yellow/green units do not have MU on the leading end of the engine (quick spotting feature, the Y shaped handrail stanchion.) The green units also have had the Baldwin MU replaced, since they have standard MU (its coupled to an EMD switcher). All the others are coupled to other Baldwins.

Dave1905:

What you say is right for the prototype-but I took logandsawman's comments as being directed towards his model railroad, not the photos, since he said he had a couple of Baldwin S12s. It's a matter of interpretation.

Its a matter of details. Making that observation gives the option of adding details to one end or both ends of the engines (or not at all if you don't care). It also gives a rational as to why the paired Baldwins are always back to back (because they only have MU on the rear end). The Athearn S12 handrails are non-prototypical for pretty much any configuration so there are lots of opportunities to make changes (if the OP wants to).

Another reason to have switch engines pointing a particular way is when they are stored, or serviced. I remember some switch engines needing to all be pointed nose North so the shop crews could work on them easier. Some also would need to be oriented a certain way in order to make particular moves when out working.

Back