Ends of the Main Buss

taholmes

Hi Guys:

I am getting ready to start installing my main buss and a few of the sub busses and hopefully laying some track in the next couple days!!!

the layout is U shaped around the wall. As I pull in the main buss that is attached to the plug panel where the NCE power cab plugs in, the buss will go 2 directions from the plug panel -- when I get out to the end of the layout, should I just terminate it at a terminal block or is there some special way to terminate it? im using the method that Ron describes on Rons Trains and Things

Thanks
TIM

per https://dccwiki.com/Wire_Sizes_and_Spacing

Terminating Bus Wires
This is another DCC topic that gets a lot of ink (or maybe electrons moving) on a regular basis.

In general, bus wires should not need termination. However, you may find it beneficial on pre-installed long wire runs and/or in situations in which your experiencing control problems, such as decoders losing their programming or worse, a decoder blowing up. Refer to the your system manual to see what is recommended. The RC Network can absorb some of a voltage spike by giving it an alternate path, instead of your decoder’s front end.

For more information on Bus Snubbers or Terminators, see Bus Termination. Also see the section on Inductance above.

Some manufacturers recommend the installation of a bus terminator, others do not. Digitrax doesn’t recommend them, while some command stations may have the equivalent built in. If the output of the booster is a high impedance, this usually minimizes the issue. A low impedance output driving the track bus with moving higher impedance loads on it will create a transmission line, and ringing is quite possible.

As a rule, they should only be installed if needed, and after proper investigation such as measuring the waveform with an oscilloscope.

Back