EMD F Unit Roof Question

StingraySteve

I have HO scale F7 units from quite a few different manufacturers. Most of which I bought dirt cheap because they were unpopular Road Names. I am now in the process of stripping the shells in order to repaint them into my favorite Railroad paint schemes. I also want to modify and detail the shells. I noticed that the roofs on some my F units have an angled extension and on some the roof edge is straight across (Like an E unit) To add this missing extension I could scratch build it with styrene. However I would prefer to buy the pieces. What would they be called? Where could I buy them? Thanks, Steve

I’m not a big detail guy but I believe it comes down to various phases and possibly railroad preferences.
I had a chart somewhere that shows some differences, I’ll dig for it.

4E69581C-A677-4F4A-AF63-C9E22059D134.jpeg

Some models and phases had the angled rear roof, and some didn’t.
It can turn into a slippery slope, as far as how far to go, and what to change and what to leave alone.
Dis your railroad have units like the ones you ended up with? If so, simply number and detail them to that model. If not, then you’ll need to decide if you want to take care of that detail. Just be aware that if you change that part, there may be other changes you’ll need to make in order for everything to match.

Some models and phases had the angled rear roof, and some didn’t.
It can turn into a slippery slope, as far as how far to go, and what to change and what to leave alone.
Dis your railroad have units like the ones you ended up with? If so, simply number and detail them to that model. If not, then you’ll need to decide if you want to take care of that detail. Just be aware that if you change that part, there may be other changes you’ll need to make in order for everything to match.
Good point. However actually I'm just wanting to fix things that really bother me. For example a Steam Generator on a passenger Train A unit or a Passenger Train B unit that does not have a Steam Generator. I really don't like the looks of the straight- across rear roof. I want to Add on the Angled style Extention. I have 6 or 7 Bachmann Plus F7s . I'm not too crazy about the 48 inch Dynamic Brake Fan or the Winterization hatches on those but I can live with that. The Flat rear roof edge Sucks big time . I was hoping to score a dozen glue on Angles pieces. If not ..Time to break out the Styrene and Exacto kit. What about replacing the 48 inch Dynamic with Flush Air Intake Grills to model a Phase one F3? If I had Deeper Pockets I'd just buy a few After Market shells and be done with it. I love the heavy smooth running Chassis ..Hate the Shells. Really Tacky Ugly Undesirable paint schemes that nobody buys on purpose. LOL 😆

I'm not too crazy about the 48 inch Dynamic Brake Fan or the Winterization hatches on those but I can live with that.... What about replacing the 48 inch Dynamic with Flush Air Intake Grills to model a Phase one F3?
Yeah, I started that project: turning a late F7 or F9 into an F3. Had to be about 1985. Worked and worked cutting out the molded on air fans, intake grills and all that. Probably at least 40 hours worth, still not even close. Put it aside, then 10(?) years later they came out with the Highliner Shells. I considered how much 40 more hours of my time to finish it was worth and just bought one of those instead.....

Repainting and detailing them is a great way to customize your model railroad to your liking. To add the missing angled roof extension, you have a few options. One is to scratch build it with styrene, as you mentioned. Another option is to buy the pieces you need.

I have 2 old Bachmann F9A's and an F9B that I will be turning into specific ex-UP Rock Island units. I've gathered a quite a few photos and the variation between units in this quite small fleet is incredible!

Roof details alone I found variations in the following...

Exhaust stacks
Winterization hatches
Oil-cooling pipework
Horns
Antenna
Handrails

Then there are bodyside detail differences, nose-end detail differences, fuel tank cowling detail differences, and finally livery differences!

These are the things I love about modelling though, much more satisfying than opening a box

Something you might want to consider: Are you modelling a specific prototype railroad, and in what era, or are you freelancing? If a specific prototype, it might depend on the era...before or after mergers and acquisitions of other companies. I am NOT an expert on the configurations of the F-7's used by each line, but the Burlington Northern was a combination of C.B.&Q., Great Northern and Northern Pacific. Even before the merger, they often pooled motive power (or "motors" as the Q called them). In addition, modifications to units or changes to newer units from the originals would result in differences.

The original FT's had, and for the most part kept the bulldog pilots they came from EMD. But all Burlington Route cab units from then on had passenger pilots! FT's and IIRC some F-2's originally had only headlights, but were later modified by adding Mars lights.

The point is, don't beat yourself up over flat roof ends, unless you are going "rivet-counting". Do some research. You might be surprised at what you will find.

Enjoy! Enjoy!

Good luck finding what you need. I gave up finding what I want for mine and just bought something close that I'll paint and number someday after the layout is done. It aint easy being prototypical.

Back