Electronics supply?

Fazby

I built a walk around controller - one DPDT switch and a rheostat. Yeah, I should buy one, but what do you learn from that?

The rheostat I bought is 25 ohm. From Radio Shack. Next size was about 1000 ohm.

The 25 is too low reistance. Is there any spource where I can get perhaps up to 100 ohm?

Google just gives too much junk. Can someone help me zero in on a good source?

Thanks!

Pete

When building a simple throttle like you are stating, make sure you are using a rheostat and not a potentiometer ! A potentiometer isn't designed to carry direct loads like you are doing, and it will self destruct in rather short order. A number of those links above send you to potentiometers - don't use those !

Also make certain the rheostat is rated at the proper wattage for the load it will be carrying, otherwise it will get extremely hot and may even damage the windings. Wattage is calculated by multiplying volt by amps. For example, if your maximum voltage through the rheostat is 12 volts and the maximum load is, say - 2 amps, then you would need a minimum wattage rating of 25. Always be safe and use a wattage rating higher than the maximum required.

Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back