Electrical Questions

quakers1

The Blue Man
Hello all,

My layout is entering advanced planning at this time, so I am now looking into the electrical aspects.

I WILL for sure use Digital Command Control. Standard cab control has worked for me on my small layouts in the past, but since my new layout will play host to several trains, DCC is the way to go.

I plan on using Kato locomotives heavily; they just offer so many good locomotives at a price that is right. On the website, it says that a company called Train Control Systems (TCS) made drop-in decoders for their locomotives. Will these work with most major DCC manufacturers, such as Atlas, MRC, and CVP?

Also, I got a question about track feeders. Most bigger model railroads I see use good ole soldered feeders. I do not have a problem with this at all, but I have a question. I plan on using Code 55 Track from Atlas. They produce a thing called "Terminal Joiners". Are these any good to use?

Thanks for all help,

-Skylar:)

I use TCS decoders almost exclusively love there no fault warranty. Most if not all decoders work with any system.I would definitely solder the track feeders better connections better off you are with the DCC signal!!:D

Hey,

Thanks for your help! I figured TCS Decoders would work fine, but I was not 100 percent sure. Now I know that it will work!

I don't have any problem at all soldering track feeders. Plus is that you can color-code your wiring like the NMRA suggests when you solder track feeders. Plus it works much better.

Oh, and by the way, I am still unsure as to which DCC system to use. Some systems I have been looking at are Atlas Master, MRC Prodigy Express (with wireless throttles), and CVP EasyDCC. Are these any good?

Thanks for all help,

-Skylar

I've the MRC advanced on the layout with 2 wireless and 2 advanced and 2 express handheld works great . Then I have the MRC express with an advanced handheld on the work-bench.as to the other systems I have no idea.

Avoid terminal joiners and go with solder. Terminal joiners will work great for a year or 2 and then you slowly start having issues with jerky running trains and a lot of headache. You'll wind up soldering in the end. If you plan ahead you can solder wires to the bottom of your rails before laying the track to hide them the best. It's what I wish I did. ;)

Back