Electric switch machines on class 1 railroads

rgeiter

Conrail Quality
I’m looking to add some non operating switch machines on my railroad. My question is, what switch machines were used on mainlines in the 1990’s? More specifically on Conrail. I never really paid much attention to those kind of details back in the day. Thanks

AFAIK, there were two widely used manufacturers (in North America) of railroad signaling equipment back in the day: Union Switch and Signal, and General Railway Signal, and both made switch power machines.

This company:
rebuilds them for railroad use even today.

If you are trying to model a specific part of Conrail, your problem might be identifying which one was used where, as Conrail was a conglomerate. I would be surprised if Conrail didn't use both.

That one was loosely labeled a "switch machine of eastern rail." There are a lot of images out there--search "railroad switch machines" and you'll find quite a few photos of the real ones...as well as images of the model railroad versions we use. :D

"Back in the day" white metal castings were available which could be set along trackside (Detail Associates mebbe), and I'd be surprised if they aren't still out there. I don't have a Walthers catalog handy, but I'd start there.

--------

You will probably also want remote unlocks for any manually thrown--aka un-powered--switches, such as a spur coming directly off a mainline or siding.

I haven't watched this video, but it probably answers most of your questions:

Last edited:
AFAIK, there were two widely used manufacturers (in North America) of railroad signaling equipment back in the day: Union Switch and Signal, and General Railway Signal, and both made switch power machines.

This company:
rebuilds them for railroad use even today.

If you are trying to model a specific part of Conrail, you problem might be identifying which one was used where, as Conrail was a conglomerate. I would be surprised if Conrail didn't use both.

That one was loosely labeled a "switch machine of eastern rail." There are a lot of images out there--search "railroad switch machines" and you'll find quite a few photos of the real ones...as well as images of the model railroad versions we use. :D

"Back in the day" white metal castings were available which could be set along trackside (Detail Associates mebbe), and I'd be surprised if they aren't still out there. I don't have a Walthers catalog handy, but I'd start there.

--------

You will probably also want remote unlocks for any manually thrown--aka un-powered--switches, such as a spur coming directly off a mainline or siding.

I haven't watched this video, but it probably answers most of your questions:

Found these on eBay. Just need to research to see if they were used in the era I’m modeling.

One particular branch I use to visit back in the 90’s used air switch machines. They were loud and scary when they threw. That would be interesting to model, with their air tanks, piping and such.

Attachments

• B6FC02A8-44D7-4630-A114-A41EE8FD5D83.jpeg
    B6FC02A8-44D7-4630-A114-A41EE8FD5D83.jpeg
    366.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 03805515-60DD-4DFB-87D2-1F4D689460C5.jpeg
    03805515-60DD-4DFB-87D2-1F4D689460C5.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 84
  • C1EACB7F-C550-4F4B-9216-E7215105544B.jpeg
    C1EACB7F-C550-4F4B-9216-E7215105544B.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 113
  • CB55786A-D943-4163-89F0-7E66CB540733.jpeg
    CB55786A-D943-4163-89F0-7E66CB540733.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 81
  • C35D5FB6-FCBE-4C57-ADB0-37810EE49DB4.jpeg
    C35D5FB6-FCBE-4C57-ADB0-37810EE49DB4.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 81
Snowman posted this link above:
Switch Machine 05 med crp DSC05003.jpg

This was used all over Conrail, mostly at control points that were remotely controlled.
It has power (of course), but if for some reason the power is off or the dispatcher can't control it, there's a manual throw lever as well.

I recall the proper procedure to operate one:
- get permission from dispatcher or operator to use the switch manually
- unlock the power/manual lever on right
- now move "the big lever" (on left) so that you see the points move in BOTH directions
- position the switch as needed
- then put power/manual switch back on "power" and lock it there.

There may have been an additional requirement to operate over the switch with a locomotive before putting it back "on power", so as to "be on the circuit" (which would prevent the switch from throwing "underneath you"). Can't remember that specifically, it's been a long time and the rulebooks are put away up in the attic...;)

That looks familiar that cover on the left is full of contacts for signals or whatever and your description sounds exactly right for operating
Seems like we had to check those once a month had gauges make or break type setup

Thanks for that picture. Now I just have to figure out what model/ make the switch machine is.
20:1 it's of GRS manufacture. At the far right end, just below and right of the brown glove is a raised, cast circle. That'll be the original GRS script logo inside the spherical raised edge, methinks. I measured one off a signal box many years ago--might even have taken a charcoal relief too.

Snagged from:

[I claim fair use]

Back