Electric Melt Shop: Scrap Receiving Yard

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
I have a few shots from the window of a tour bus, of the scrap metal receiving yard at an electric melt shop. [The company didn't allow cameras inside the mill unfortunately - rats!] Sorry about the 'grainy' appearance, these are from prints that I scanned-in. They were shot back in 2003, during my "pre-digital" days.

The first shot is an overall view of the yard, with most of the scrap 'baled' like hay:

EAF_rcvg_yard001.jpg

The next shows some more of the machinery. That's an electromagnet hydraulic-arm crane on a self-propelled rail chassis, loading scrap into a bottom-dump EAF* charging bucket:

EAF_rcvg_yard002.jpg

The 3rd is a close-up of the previous image. If you look closely you can see the specially-outfitted flatcar the charging bucket sits on, the seam dividing the two sides where it opens to dump, and the flopped-over bracket with the center hook "eye" (for the overhead crane):

EAF_rcvg_yard003.jpg

Regarding that last photo, I wouldn't dream of expecting Josh to kitbash a model of that - even though there is a mini-mill in California...:rolleyes:;)

* EAF = Electric Arc Furnace

What's that about josh Ken,,, i bet he's allready got a flat car lined up for the job

Great pic's

Steve, Proto pics have to be posted by Thrusday afternoon for Josh to post scratch building pics in time for WPF. :D

Sheeh, come on, I gotta go to the store to buy the materials!

Ken if I had a use, I might consider it. Awsome pics though! Gives me ideas for the scrap in gondola's going to your mills ;).

Steve I DO have a flat lined up, but its a 68' version, and is destined to haul finished steel, pics tomorrow.

Back