Easter Weekend Photo fun 04/10 -- -

Youve got to be up early to beat Jeffery.. Or live in a different timezone !!!!

some inside detials

STA52676.jpg

most of the weeks modelling has been making some BIG wagons (LGB) to sell

pipes2.jpg

pipes4.jpg

LGB23.jpg

but I did get some of my own stuff done and a new video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmpxxLK6u4I

HAPPY EASTER

John

Very nice interior details John.

Here a prisoner on a work detail takes a short break on the front of an SD40 that's parked on a rip track. Or maybe he's waiting for a chance to make a break for it.

DSCN0812.jpg

John, great interior and I love those pipes!
It's a holiday... Jeffery gets to sleep in sometimes. :)

I was getting tired of trying to remember what trains were on what track and where they were going so I made up a train board.
Still have to put the proper lettering on it but it does the trick!

Hi: Your detailing is outstanding, John.
Where's the guards, Jeffery?
Great idea, Rico.

This West bound freight is running the "wrong" main to pass a work train that is cleaning up a slide.

P1030445.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice start folks!

Grampy, you have to stop posting proto photos and claiming they are models!!!:rolleyes:;) Awesome work! Looks like PA to me.

John, as always nice! Very nice!

Jeffrey well done scene. I thought that guy on the front of the diseasal was there to chase away critters on the track............

I have been finishing some scenery and taking photos to enter in the competition at my Regions NMRA Conference next week. Here are a couple "also rans".

YardContest01aw.png

Switcher05w.png

The newspaper mountain was begining to grate on me so having a day to play trains I decided it had to change

Step 1 plaster it

hills2.jpg

then I decided I needed a backscene, its still a work in progress when dry I plan to wash over it with white to tone it down and make it look a bit more distant, the 3D hill will then be grassed and fir trees planted in front of the painted band of trees

hills4.jpg

hills3.jpg

hills6.jpg

hills5.jpg

and because it is planned to be dual scale just for test purposes

hills.jpg

John

John, what do you do to make the frame for your cars? I wanted to make myself a flat car, but I don't know where to start.

Both the curtain sider and pipe car use the same principle this picture may help

LGB2.jpg

It is all 60thou plasticard solvent welded together

Start with the the flat base upside down and add the 2 inner 10mm ribs along the length, the outer ribs are only 5mm and added next, then add the cross ribs between and finish off with the two end ribs. the truck mounts are made from double thickness plasticard glued onto the top of the ribs (bottom when right way up) the holes are drilled ready for the trucks to be fixed on with self tapping screws.

A flat would be easier than the pipe wagon, due to its length (20") the frame is made in 3 pieces, the two wider ends and the centre spar, strength for the joints comes from the fact they are welded to the Pipe Load !

If you need more help PM and I can answer specifi questions no problem!

Really great stuff, you guys!! :)

A Union Pacific 2-10-2 crosses the Seneca River Interchange.

IMG_4489csharadr.png

-Crandell

Container Facility

I recently replaced a pair of the old " Cox manual Gantry cranes " with a pair of the new " Heljan digital cranes in my Container handling yard. Still have some track ballast to finish and roads to pave. I also devised a method to add steel pins in the tank containers of Walthers, enabling the cranes to lift them as well as the box containers. Having a blast operating them.

Thanks, Ray! :)

At least, after having figured out how to get the water looking halfways decent, I can replicate it on another layout. Right now this is on a hinged shelf about 14" wide. You can see the blue foam at the left with some of the epoxy smeared down it. Good thing the tape dam held. :eek:

-Crandell

Nice stuff as usual, John. That viaduct is going to looks great when it's done.

Rico, great idea if I ever get a layout that runs more than three trains at once. :)

Gramps, great scene setup and photography. That's one fine looking crane.

Crandell, nice to see a "real" locomotive show up on your railroad. :D

Big-D, is that car and containers pre-painted or your own creation? Looks pretty nice in any case.

Ray, if those pictures are "also-rans", I don't think you'll have any problems coming away with first place in that contest.

ST, two of those Heljan cranes? I couldn't even afford one. They must be a ball to play with. Nice stained glass window too.

Thanks, Jim !

Thanks, Jim. My wife made both of the stained glass windows some years back. She gave up the hobby as people didn't want to pay a fair price ( $ 2 )for labor or material so she might as least make a small profit. Any way we are both retired now, ergo the two cranes - - - ! Found the 2nd one at a price to hard to ignore from an internet/ E-bay dealer called " Scaled Structures ". It was on sale ---- $410 shipped UPS with Insurance ! After working 42 years in construction outside every winter in Northwestern Ind. , I feel I deserve to enjoy my retired years truly enjoying my favorite hobby of model railroading ! My wife is totally supportive of my great hobby ! She also found me the caboose light hanging above my old container transfer yard !

ST, I've had several friends that make stained glass windows and they all say the same thing - it's tough to make a profit. She certainly does some beautiful work. The caboose marker and all your trains on the wall are pretty impressive too. :)

Jeffrey, I have plenty of junk I can send you. :D Those brick walls came out really good.

Back