Earthquakes and layouts

Charles Smiley

cspmovies
I live in earthquake country. About 1/4-mile from the 1994 Northridge epicenter!

I always park trains in places that they can't fall off the layout in a quake. So I finally added Lexan "fencing" around all the perimeter locations so I can leave trains where they wind up when I'm done. I used 1/8th thick stock cut and polished edges. They can conform to curves on the fascia board.

I got enough pieces (various lengths) for under 90 Dollars custom cut, radius-ed and polished edges. With little soft neoprene spacer washers they 'float' about 0.08-inch off the fascia surface. They screw into threaded inserts so they can easily come off for photography if they get in the way.

You stop noticing they are there in short order.

LEXAN-FENCE.jpg

F-UNITS-4.jpg

LEXAN-BARRIER.jpg

THANKS! We don't have many earthquakes here, but I'm a HUGE klutz so this is a VERY good idea for my layout!

Too subtle. Razor ribbon along the top would be more effective.

Great idea! I LIKEE!

I'm looking for ho scale 'barbed wire' and 'guard towers' for my 'D.M.Z.' portion of my layout. Does anybody make a 'prison' kit or a WW2 camp I can 'cannibalize' and 'kitbash' to get the general effect?

Hubby and I set up a 3' by 4' piece of foam board to use as a three-dimensional "sketch pad" to test the arrangements of buildings and scenery in relation to the tracks. We set it on top of a bookcase, and held it in place with a four pound weight. This morning just about dawn there was a horrendous crash, and a very alarmed wide-eyed kitty came running up onto the bed.

Sure enough, our little test set-up had suffered a CAT QUAKE. We are still finding the occasional little HO scale plastic person on the carpet!

Diane

Back