Early Kato C44-9W's...

wongsing

Does anyone have any good pictures of some early Kato C44-9W's? I was just wondering a few things about the run that (I suppose) would've been released in 2001. I have an offer to buy BNSF 4929 and ATSF 600. Both Dash 9's and both for 140.00 shipped NIB...

1. Did they have working ditchlights from the factory?

2. Were they plug and play equipped?

3. What improvements have been made since this run?

4. Does anyone have some good detail shots of either engine or one similar?

5. While it would be a steal for more recent Kato engines, is $65.00 a piece for these 2001 run Dash 9's still worth it?

Thanks for any pictures or info! I checked the Kato website and they offer nothing useful in way of pics or info from their earlier runs...(Go Atlas!!!)

-Rich

seeing how you wanted HO info i pulled the N scale stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
As for HO:

1. Did they have working ditchlights from the factory?
Yes, mine has them...

2. Were they plug and play equipped?
Mine has an 8 pin plug, or it can have the whole board swapped.

3. What improvements have been made since this run?
Added a grill to the AC unit! Mine does not have it, but the newest run does.

4. Does anyone have some good detail shots of either engine or one similar?
Somewhere I have photos...

5. While it would be a steal for more recent Kato engines, is $65.00 a piece for these 2001 run Dash 9's still worth it?
Good price.

Amazing motor/drive, crappy shell detail, over sized grabs. :rolleyes:

How would you rate them vs. some Athearn C44-9's....I got an offer for two of them for 150.00 shipped! The only thing I don't like about either model is that while they do have the gullwing cabs, they don't have the 4 side-window cabs like the later BNSF dash 9's had. I do all my own detailing of locomotives...Man its a pain, but I do somehow enjoy it....

Anyways, I have these two deals to choose from and I am torn...

1. 2 Athearn H2 or H1 BNSF dash 9's shipped for 150.00 NIB. Accepts paypal and ships immediately. Pictures looked very good....

2. 2 Kato BNSF dash 9's...one warbonnet, one H2. Shipped 140.00!!! Does NOT accept paypal, only money order or check...(makes me alittle nervous :eek:). Pictures were good enough, and also ships immediately.

I like both engines! Would LOVE some Katos...They tend to be more expensive, but I have always heard good things about running them. The ditchlights on the Athearns don't operate, but they are in the wrong location anyways, so they will need to be relocated. The two Athearn locos are correct having 3 side-window cabs, but only one of the Katos is correct. However, it is easier to add sound to a Kato, and I'm not sure about the Athearn dash 9's. ( I own several Athearn RTR's, but no dash 9's) At any rate, I'm not sure what I should do! What would you guys do given the same facts? I just want to make the right decision!

-Rich

I would say if your getting a nice condition Kato either brand new or close to it, for under a hundred bucks each. Thats a pretty good deal.

Anyone else have any input on what would be better in regards to BNSF dash 9's? I know they are both incorrect but to what extent? I am (obviously) into Chessie System and east coast fallen flags and coal railroading. None of my engines are modern so I don't know TOO much about new GE's and EMD models. Can someone point out the pros and cons to me? Both engines appear to be nice....

-Rich

Well, the Kato ALSO has the wrong phase long hood for an H2 BNSF unit (unless you model one of the few Santa Fe units repainted). Athearn is the only one who did that hood, you can tell by the staggered height grills under the radiator. Kato only models the early units with straight grills.

The price for the Katos is better, I've gotten about 4-5 Athearns for the price you'd be paying. Unless they're RTR's, ~$120 for two would be ok ($60 each).

Thanks guys and thanks Josh! I detail locomotives constantly for myself and others; adding ditchlights and some other things would be no big task really. I think I will go ahead and go with the Athearn locos and yes, they are all RTR's. (I love detailing engines, but an already painted bluebox needing treatment takes more time and money than I'm willing to offer!) I do like the Katos, and yeah, they are cheaper by a whole 10 bucks that is! (140.00 vs. 150.00 shipped!) I think the Athearns seem to be the better deal though. Less work will probably need to go into them to bring them to acceptable detail level. Not to mention, they will always run with other Athearns...AND, it will be way cheaper to find another Athearn RTR to run with it!...patched warbonnet, H1 maybe?...:cool:

-Rich

Back