Early 2018 Photo Fun

GPwrangler

I say its about time we had another one of these fine threads.

I'll start off with the Magnolia tank car won from the most recent scratch build contest. Thanks again NP2626!

A box!
YyboOHY.jpg

The begining
ZAM8TgS.jpg

Only complaint about this kit is that it was very light weight, but that was easily fixed with some stick on wheel weights.
TMKPPgV.jpg

All finished! I wanted it to look about 40-50 years old to fit the era I'm modeling. Now I just need somewhere to run it.
uoYl12a.jpg

gNVIV7A.jpg

Let's see what y'all have been up to. I can always count on this forum for some good inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this in another thread, but this was one of my favorite shots from the Amherst Hobby show this weekend:

Some really creative, in my opinion, trackwork.

SPsIj4s.jpg

A couple cars I purchased recently that just needed some finish work. It rained yesterday, so the lighting isn't the best. But the background came out nice!

Kevin (GPwrangler) ... Thank you for starting this thread.... Your tank car looks good.

KB02 ... interesting tracks.

HO explorer ... I like the logging train.

Railrunner130 .... Good looking freight cars.

Chet ..... It is always good seeing your yellow Alcos.

In the Coffee Shop, I have showed my progress building a section of my layout which depicts the 1900 era. (The rest of the layout is 1950's and early 1960's. ) ..... Here are photos of my 1900 era section.

39053913125_b8339d8bc6_b.jpg

25065559137_049f37d147_b.jpg

26079525988_4e6a2e856a_b.jpg

28172389159_31d49475ca_b.jpg

I miss these threads. There is always some nice work in them.

I've been working on a refueling station for my loco's as my winter project.

xtKKqd3.jpg

UeXohGm.jpg

Let's keep this thread going!! here is a photo of a Bachmann Light Pacific that was an AT&SF model I converted to a Northern Pacific Q-5 Pacific loco to pull one of my two passenger trains.

HPIM7901 (Small).JPG

This loco is DCC with a Sound Value decoder and is nice looking, running and good pulling locomotive.

Last Saturday (February 10th) the museum hosted the theme of "Romance of the Rails" travel in a more elegant time. I took my Cascade Hiawatha pulled by a Milwaukee S4 class Northern and a couple sections of the Santa Fe's heavy weight train California Limited. There were not many visitors, but we had a great time with steam locomotives and passenger trains all over the layout.

Here are two shots (sorry, lousy camera phone shots) of the second section of the California Limited eastbound down grade approaching the lower helper pocket. This is an original BLI Santa Fe 37xx class 4-8-4. I picked it up at a swap meet for $100. First time I've run it. It was also the maden voyage for almost the entire heavy weight consist. Had one car that the rear truck kept derailing. After the 4th time I just turned the car around so that truck was leading. Not another problem the rest of the day!
SantaFe 4-8-4.pngCalifornia Limited.png

Here is the first section of the California Limited exiting the siding (had to take on water) at Quartz Mountain. The BLI Santa Fe Northerns do not have traction tires limiting trains to 10 cars (800 tons) eastbound and 8 cars (640 tons) west bound.
California Limited at Quartz.png

Then the Cascade Hiawatha also eastbound, exiting the town of Dairy. One of my long time model railroad friends was at the throttle. This was the maiden voyage of this Broadway Limited model. It had traction tires and certified at 15.02 oz of tractive effort. Very impressive. It made quick work of the 12 car Hiawatha. There were a couple of derailments of the front truck in the exact two spots on the layout, but over all it performed great. I could not have been happier. The Hiawatha itself was the hit of the show. The orange with maroon trim contrasted nicely against the dark pine forest so prevalent in the northwestern woods, it was also a striking difference from the Pullman green and Overland grey of most of the rest of the trains.
Hiawatha.jpg

Back