E/Z Mates Bachmann

iggy809

Got my 4-4-0 Bachmann running after drive shaft problems. Want to put knuckles on the old time passenger train. Have all MTL but would like to try E/Z mates as the claim is they just drop into the coupler box, no springs or amall parts. The unit will not be uncoupled.

EZ Mates have haduncoupling problems on my equipment. I finally gave up and installed KD couplers on everything.

I assume you're talking N-scale since you're also talking about MT couplers. EZ mates work well as long as, like you say, you don't need to uncouple them. I left them on my Bachmann Norfolk Southern F units because a replacement was problematic with the way they'd designed it, and I also have them on one or two other passenger units (can't recall exactly at the moment). For a consist that's never going to be uncoupled or changed they work well.

E/Z Mates will not work on the 4-4-0 Bachmann American w/o a lot of modification to the tender. Got the MTL #1128 T shanks and they fit right in the tender slot.
Very easy, no carving the tender. Got the #1128's (4) couplers vrs. #1049 (2) couplers, same .

E/Z Mates will not work on the 4-4-0 Bachmann American w/o a lot of modification to the tender. Got the MTL #1128 T shanks and they fit right in the tender slot.
Very easy, no carving the tender. Got the #1128's (4) couplers vrs. #1049 (2) couplers, same .

I have a Bachmann EZ-Mate mounted in my Bachmann 4-4-0 tender in the original coupler pocket. I don't remember if the coupler itself was original or replacement. Obviously if there is a problem with replacing the coupler with EZ-Mates on some runs of the loco, it's not a problem on others. If it has a screw-mounted coupler pocket and a coupler with built-in leaf spring you should be able to replace/use EZ-Mates. If it has the older clip-on coupler pocket and the coupler has a separate coil spring then you will need the 1128 just like any of the old Bachmann stuff. Sorry I didn't think of that when I originally replied. I was paying more attention to whether EZ-Mates worked well as a semi-permanent coupler rather than paying attention to the install details.

in my experience, using them in ho scale, is that they work great until they quit working. the little spring wears out and they no longer stay coupled.

Back