E obsession?

GatorDave

Railroading Fan~Gator Fan
Okay, be honest. Am I getting carried away with the E thing? I have always
liked the looks of the E units, especially the E6. Lately, every time I go to
the LHS, there sits a new E unit... in Southern Ry of course. And I have to
buy it. To make things worse, right now there is another P2K E6 A/B set(Southern) being held for me at the hobby shop. Thankfully, this one
doesn't have sound or I would have to find a new place to live... or, at best,
sleep on the couch! :D These things can get expensive after awhile.

Is it just me or does everyone have a certain type of loco that they just
can't pass up. I really need(want) a new steamer, but these darn E's are
keeping me busy(and broke:D ) Good luck, Dave
IM000387.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, i too, am a BIG E unit fan!;):D this is NOT a bad thing, you just have to learn to pace yourself on buying them.;):D i know how you feel though. it a well known fact the obsession i have with FM hood units.:eek: cripes, it KILLS me to go to the hobby shop and see the TM4 trainmaster with sound! i can hear it calling out to me. at $249, right now i just pretend i am def, but its SO hard to walk by.:eek: thing is, i have one in N scale, but to have it in HO with sound.....:( ....anyways, E units, not pictured: CNW E7A, CNW E8A, 2 Milwaukee road E8A's(UP colors), CB&Q E8A and last, but NOT least, CB&Q E9A. i think that qualifys me as being an E UNIT FAN!:D the ONLY HO E unit i have at the present is my Proto E6. ALL the others, including my LA-1(pictured below)are in N scale. BTW, my N UP E6A and E6B were bought as standard, i removed the lettering and did the decaling on them as LA-1A & LA-1B myself.;):D...BOTTOM LINE...PACE YOURSELF!;) good luck Dave:) -Dean

I'd say I have E obsession when they are painted up daylight. Other than that I have and SD-9 obsession.

lginc,
If you look at my picture, the loco directly behind the E7 on the right is
a AT&SF FM H16-44. Didn't know if you noticed that or not.;) Dave

NWR #200 said:
I'd say I have E obsession when they are painted up daylight. Other than that I have and SD-9 obsession.

Seth,
It's funny that you should mention that...
My LHS just happens to have a BLI E8 in SP Daylight. I was looking at it
just the other day. Nice model. Dave

My obsession I would say.......STEAM LOCOS! Can't get enough of em, I can't say I have a favorite steam loco, just love 'em all!
Chris

So you love passenger trains - nothing wrong with that!

If I had more space and wasn't so addicted to heavy industry, I'd have a major passenger terminal on my layout. Your photo reminds me of the Ivy City yard in Washington DC as it looked in 1967 [gosh I miss those days].

This is one of the 2 surviving E's in my roster:
agl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really like to get some Conrail executive E8's for my layout, don't really have enough time/money to make them though (You can't do the CR E's without doing the whole executive train).

I am still tempted to buy a couple Pennsy Precision E8's though.

What a great thread! My obseccion is F units. I curently own 9 units and 4 of them are F's!
CP FP7A
CP F7B
CP FP9A
VIA FP9Au

The CP units are all action red with a multimark. I still need more VIA F units and CN zebra striped units as well! Otherwise the roster is pretty fair, one ALCO, SW, F40PH-2, C-Liner, Geep...

GatorDave said:
lginc,
I sure DID Dave!;) (eyes begin to well up)....brought a tear of joy to my eyes.:D i am ALWAYS glad to see an FM unit on others layouts.;)...Dave a little trivia for you on the two roads you have there, Santa Fe bought 88 FM units from 4/45-4/57, 20 of them were H16-44's. SR bought 20 FM units from 12/51-6/55, 15 of them were H16-44's 5 were Trainmasters. funny thing about the Trainmasters, Southern and Wabash were the ONLY two roads that had the H24-66's with low end platforms and walkovers.;) yea, i know this thread is about E units, but since you mentioned your FM....if your anything like me, i like to learn EVERYTHING i can about the roads i model. being thats about all i know about the roads YOU model, thought i would pass it along.:D -Dean

I like the E7's. I'm not as fond of the 8's because they were a dime a dozen when I was a kid. But what's not to like about the E's? An A-B-B-A lashup is longer than some trains :D
47PA180002.jpg

Dave, you're a show-off!:D
Man, I don't blame you one bit. I got the E-bug, but managed to get a shot after four of them and settled down a little. I am going to meetings now to help me keep from getting an E8.
BLI's
E6A/b Southern
E7A GM&O
E7A L&N, E7A L&N...MU'd

little off topic:
I only wanted one passenger train and now have three. You may not think much of IHC passenger cars, but I took a chance and bought 2 sets with the third set being Walthers Budd cars. I put steel wheels and new couplers on the IHC and you can run them as fast as you want and they never derail. HOWEVER: I can't keep the expensive Walthers on the track at any speed.

Mushroom2---Now that is a passenger train. Very nice.

Rex,
Showing off is what it's all about. I actually have two sets of IHC
passenger cars myself... although they are NYC. I got a good deal
on them a couple of years ago. And eventhough I hadn't really decided
on a road yet, I just had to buy them. I also converted the couplers with
Kadee close coupler kits and added metal wheel sets. I thought maybe
one day I would paint them for Southern, but I have since given up on
that pipe dream. So, I robbed them of their metel wheel sets, which now
belong to other rolling stock, and I also have, over time, robbed them of
their #5's. They still have the conversion bolsters minus the couplers.

Tonight I had a moment of clarity... I have decided to start over... again.
The layout will be coming down and a new out building will be going up. I
plan to build a 12x16 or 12x20 strictly for the trains. This will be insulated
and climate controled... and portable in case of future moves.

The current layout has been fun, but I find myself with not enough room and
I have been hesitant with the progress. In the back of my mind I am
constantly thinking of having to move sometime in the future and having to tear down my hard work.

As a matter of fact, I have been tinkering with a track plan and thought
of emailing it to you for your evaluation/input. It's going to be hard to make
the first cut on the layout, but once it's down and the new one is started,
I think I will feel better about it. Talk to you later, Dave

Good to hear commentd about the IHC pass. cars. I curently own 4 and plan on getting 2 more. All are VIA and include interiors!:p
I could of bought a set, but VIA never ran observation and mail cars.

They truly do handle great at any speed and do not derail. And they're almost always trailing the F units I talked about earlier. Speaking of E units, I was offered a CN version a while ago and turned it down because I like F's so much.:p The E's just don't look right IMHO!

For those wondering Canada only had 2 E units, both working on CP and retired about 20-25 years ago by VIA. Then in late 90s CN bought IC, aquired their fleet of E units, repainted them twice and they're now rolling all over Canada. The paint is cheasy and most fans don't like them, as they wear modern paint, look the same as the Dash 9's yuck! No respect from CN for their heritage (they repainted the IC black/grey into 50s CN green, then into current red/black), it doesn't help that CN never had E units.

GatorDave said:
lginc,
I know I noticed it! :D :p
And you can never have too many Es! (Or Hs, for that matter :p)

GatorDave said:
Seth,
It's funny that you should mention that...
My LHS just happens to have a BLI E8 in SP Daylight. I was looking at it
just the other day. Nice model. Dave

And if I modeled SP and had the pretty penny to sport 1, 2 or 3, I definately would be!

Back