Dual speakers for a Tsunami sound decoders

Marzz007

Just got the Tsunami decoder for my Athearn Turbine Veranda, it recommends 2 speakers and they say to use 2 8 ohm speakers do you parallel or series? the manual suggests the output to be 8 ohms. Should I look for 2 4 ohm speakers in series? comments please

If you can find the size you need, two four ohm speakers in series would net the best results as Tsunami decoders are made to work optimally at eight ohms.. Two eight ohm speakers in series will net you a total of 16 ohms which will diminish the sound quality somewhat. Two eight ohms in parallel would give you close to four ohms on the load and could damage the audio amplifier.

Mark.

This is what I figured , why does soundtraxx recommend 2 8 ohm speakers .

Possibly because not that long ago, four ohm speakers weren't all that common. With Loksound decoders now using four ohm speakers, they are a little easier to find.

Mark.

It's the other way around. Two 4 ohm speakers wired in series would be 2 ohms. Two 8 ohm speakers would be 4 ohms. 2 16 ohm speakers are 8 ohms.
And I have a single 8 ohm speaker in my turbine, and it sounds just fine with one speaker.

It's the other way around. Two 4 ohm speakers wired in series would be 2 ohms. Two 8 ohm speakers would be 4 ohms. 2 16 ohm speakers are 8 ohms.
And I have a single 8 ohm speaker in my turbine, and it sounds just fine with one speaker.

Dead wrong backwards. Any resistance is added when wired series. Higher resistance = lesser load. Two 8ohm speakers wired in series would be 16ohm, and lesser load than one 8ohm speaker.

Dead wrong backwards. Any resistance is added when wired series. Higher resistance = lesser load. Two 8ohm speakers wired in series would be 16ohm, and lesser load than one 8ohm speaker.

Just about .... higher resistance is MORE load. Most decoder amplifiers require a MINIMUM load of 8 ohms (Loksound is 4 ohms). You can run a higher load, but the volume will be progressively diminished. If the load is too low (below 8 ohms), you run the risk of overheating the amplifier and damaging it.

A resistor is a load no different than a bulb or a motor - all of which have a resistance that is measured in ohms.

Mark.

Just about .... higher resistance is MORE load. Most decoder amplifiers require a MINIMUM load of 8 ohms (Loksound is 4 ohms). You can run a higher load, but the volume will be progressively diminished. If the load is too low (below 8 ohms), you run the risk of overheating the amplifier and damaging it.

A resistor is a load no different than a bulb or a motor - all of which have a resistance that is measured in ohms.

Mark.

Nope. Meant what i said. Straight out of tsunami installation guide "Larger numbers equal a lesser load, therefore 16 ohms is a lesser load than 8 ohms" you are thinking of resistance load, not power draw.

Nope. Meant what i said. Straight out of tsunami installation guide "Larger numbers equal a lesser load, therefore 16 ohms is a lesser load than 8 ohms" you are thinking of resistance load, not power draw.

My apologies - had confused impedance (AC currents) with resistance (DC currents) .... two different things. In an AC circuit, the lower the impedance, the higher the current.

Mark.

My apologies - had confused impedance (AC currents) with resistance (DC currents) .... two different things. In an AC circuit, the lower the impedance, the higher the current.

Mark.

No problem! AC can be nasty. I have been in electrical engineering for over 15 years. Right now, working for one of the biggest mining equipment manufacturers in the world. That stuff is complicated!

To end any doubts, straight from the tsunami installation guide:
WiringSpeakers2_zps2937c174.jpg

Back