Dual locos for N scale

airmanlc

Hello all,

I am new to the the forum, and had a question about running dual locos for my n scale layout. I am having a hard time trying to get an answer on whether or not one can run dual locos coupled together on a dc set up. Any answer would really be helpful. Thank you in advance.

You can run two locos lashed together on a DC layout.
It is best if the two locos are equally matched in their speed.

You can run two on the same track NOT hooked to each other and see if they stay next to each other or if one is going faster/slower than the other.

I have several F3 A/A units I run together.

As Ngauged says, the locos need to be close in speed at the same throttle setting, otherwise, one loco is either pushing or dragging the other around the track. I frequently run 4 or 5 locos together, but they are usually ther same type from the same manufacturer.....for example an Intermountain A-B-B-A set of F7's, or several Kato Dash 9's.

IN DC, the principle is the same as DCC. It's just that DCC lets you match ANY engines speeds at a certain throttle setting........With DC you have to fine compatable engines.

I have run locomotives from different manufacturers on our clubs nscale layout. Like the other posters have said you have to speed match and get two loco that are close to the same speed. You can put the slightly faster one in the lead,so it is not being pushed by the other.Once you are pulling a consist they will usually even out speed wise.

Hello all,

I am new to the the forum, and had a question about running dual locos for my n scale layout. I am having a hard time trying to get an answer on whether or not one can run dual locos coupled together on a dc set up. Any answer would really be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Hello Airmanic,

Have you experienced any problems trying to do so, or haven't you got your layout set up yet?

I can remember back in the '70s when I would try to run MUs on my HO scale layout using Tyco and Athearn engines and having problems with the engines competing with one another. However, I was also using a Tyco power pack.

I think a lot has to do with making sure the engines wheels are clean so they pick up the juice evenly and having a reliable power source. It also helps if you are using trusted brand locomotives. When I built my second layout in the late '80s, (DC), and was using Kato, Atlas and Rivarossi engines; I had no problems running trains with 2, 3, or 4 units- even with pushers on the end.

Make sure your track and engine wheels are clean; make sure you use a reliable power source, (I like MRC units), and make sure you use quality engines and you shouldn't have any problems. If worse comes to worse, you may have to stick to one brand of loco in your lash-ups- but I would call that your worst case scenario.

Perhaps someone here who is a "miniature mechanic" can tell us how to speed calibrate your locomotives???

All the best,

Sean C.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back