Dual action air brushes ?

Blues909

I read as many posts on this subject and everyone has their own preference as to make and model.

I have a Paasche VL-3 and a Badger 155 and a TC vega 2000. Yet I am still considering either a Paasche MIL-3 or TS Talon .66 bottom feed.

Anyone have experience to both of either one? I think the MIL-3 shares many parts the VL-3 or VL. Not one place here has either to actually see as seems to be the case these days. Is either more durable than the other, with the MIL-3 0.74 tip and the Talon 0.66 tip they should be pretty close as far as pattern size. The main benefit of the Talon it appears you don't need tools to remove the head unless you need to remove the tip. I've seen videos where some don't use a wrench to tighten the VL head. It's not like I need another brush yet it might inspire me to begin painting again. I do have a spray booth I made vented outside in my garage which I have in this old apartment building. The Talon is $6 more than the MIL-3.

I've shot with the older Millenium and found it to be a reliable gun. I only use the wrench to loosen the head the first time, then hand tighten after that. Since you already have a bunch of bottle feeders, I'd suggest the Talon TG. Add a gravity feeder to your arsenal. You'll love the capability, they're sooooo much easier to clean and the control is much finer than a bottle feeder. You can shoot at lower pressures. I transitioned over to gravity feeders some years back. I still use my bottle feeders for larger volume projects, but the Talon TG's cup holds enough paint to shoot 2-3 coats on an HO 50 ft box car. Just my $.02

I've decided since I have a Paasche VL-3 and a Badger 155 and the Vega 2000 all have the same tip and needle size and I have another that Badger made for me year ago on their garage sale it also is dual action and has a needle stop and the same 0.75 needle and tip plus if I need the Paasche VL can be used as a single action as well as the garage sale model I don't really need another air brush . I have three single action a Paasche SI-3 and a revell student 0.5 tip and an old TC model E that I never used.

I'd rather not deal with a gravity feed the TG is a lot more than I can spend. Even a Paasche MIL-3 would come to $53.40 on Amazon $48.76 +tax and free shipping since I have an account. I might get the HD needle and tip for the revell since it has a 0.5 setup and for $25.75 total I can get a complete head and a needle. I just like that air brush it reminds me of an old Badger 200 I have because it has the same head setup just like the Badger 150 still has and the 200 and 150 I had both my first air brushes came with the IL head which is or was the fine head so I got one HD head and it fit both and the 2 HD needles since they are different lengths. The Revell is not quite as good yet I like the trigger better it's larger and further from the head , it is also 90 degrees rather than 45 from the body. It does not have the Teflon needle bearing like the Badgers do yet most TC Vega models don't and work well. Plus I have 3 Paasche H models two #3 and one #5 and two Badger 350 med setups which I found are fine for some painting but not models trains due to the larger dot pattern , they are fine if you use dull coat after that hides this. I now prefer internal mix.

Last edited:
Last week I ordered the heavy head for an old Badger 150 since in one day Amazon sold the last one they did have the heavy 200 needle and when it arrived it was in a box yet the needle was bent midway between the tip an end so I got it straight told amazon and sent another free. So the head and replacement needle arrived today and I installed them on my Revell student which had a med set up. It's close to an old Badger 200 I could get and I really liked the old 200 I had and the old 150 as well.

I have two versions (different Heads/tips) of the Badger 200 and like them both for weathering. I needed some parts so I ordered them from Badger and yesterday I found out I could buy an new Badger 200 for a cost less than the parts for $56.40 during their current sale. I have a stock of Badger 200 parts.

Greg

Last edited:
I have two versions (different Heads/tips) of the Badger 200 and like them both for weathering. I needed some parts so I ordered them from Badger and yesterday I found out I could buy an new Badger 200 for a cost less than the parts for $56.40 during their current sale. I have a stock of Badger 200 parts.

Greg

Cost me around $23 for the HD complete head and HD 200 needle from Amazon. I saw their new 200NH which has the different head think it has one needle like the 155 which is nice because one head tip and needle does it all.

Back