Dry-Bulk Semi Trailer Project (caution - photo intensive)

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
It all started about 3 months ago, with this photo from JR59's Harbor Belt layout thread: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=255782&postcount=4

I asked him where he got his dry bulk trailer, and found out that it is a brass model with a MSRP of ~$400: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=255930&postcount=14

A short while later I learned that there are some plastic models of that design produced, but even those are $80/ea. ($90 for the plated version). Still too rich for my blood. So if I really wanted cement-hauling rigs on my layout, I was gonna have to follow Karl's suggestion after all. Except I wouldn't use balsa, but Plastruct ABS tubing, Evergreen strip styrene, and a whole lotta J-B Weld epoxy!

I've been totally obsessed with this project ever since that time. The fruits of my labor are what I call '3-foot-view' models, not detailed enough to look at them up close without seeing all the flaws. But hey, that's really all I need: Static scenery props for my cement distribution facility.

Here are some of the highlight images:

base_diagram.gif

03_1.jpg

04_1.jpg

04_3.jpg

05_0.jpg

06_1.jpg

10_1.jpg

14_1.jpg

16_1.jpg

18_1.jpg

20_1.jpg

26_1.jpg

28_1.jpg

39_1.jpg

48_1.jpg

53_1.jpg

56_1.jpg

60_1.jpg

62_1.jpg

They,ve turned out very well, the bulk tankers over here don,t look like those, they tend to be just plain cylindrical tanks.

Ron

Thanks everybody for your kind comments!

Rico, thats OK - I got all the address info I need!;)

SW, I don't remember ever seeing a vacuum on a trailer with that particular style of tank. But I have seen them on food-grade bulk trailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the others.............an outstanding and very creative solution to the $400 truck dilemma.

Reminds me of the 2-of-3 rule:

"Cheap" - "Quality" - "Fast"

You can never have all 3 of the above characteristics. In my case, I sacrificed the "fast" - it took me 3 months of evenings/weekends to get these trailers.

Now I need to pickup a few Herpa Kenworth tractors ($10/ea) from my LHS to complete the set.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is awesome. Great job on the trailers. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I wasn't sure how or where to start. Now I have a plan!

Thanks for sharing with us!

timothy dineen

... I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I wasn't sure how or where to start. Now I have a plan!

Tim, I shot many more photos than the ones I posted here. I'm putting together a separate web page with all of them, plus a little commentary. I'll post a link to it on this thread when I'm finished [in another day or two].

Ken
Seriously, wanna make molds and mass produce them?? :confused: We just need 1 disassembled, and then they can be resin cast. I think you may have at least a dozen customers here alone!!!:rolleyes:

Might be able to "finance" more of the railroad this way!!

BTW, when is a run session coming??:D Have throttle will travel!!:D

Ken
Seriously, wanna make molds and mass produce them?? :confused: We just need 1 disassembled, and then they can be resin cast. ...

Karl, if you know somebody who could help me out with that, I'd be willing to sacrifice one of the trailers for 'the cause.' I know zero/zilch/nada about resin casting, so I'm hesitant to run out and buy all the tools and materials and attempt it on my own.

Op sessions will begin when I can finish the spring honey-dues and get the trainroom - and the house in general - presentable for visitors. [We can talk more about that offline...]

Karl, if you know somebody who could help me out with that, I'd be willing to sacrifice one of the trailers for 'the cause.' I know zero/zilch/nada about resin casting, so I'm hesitant to run out and buy all the tools and materials and attempt it on my own.

Bob M has some experience, did some gorgeous castings of the Grafton Hotel. Ya' know, you oughta come to club meetings now and then!

Op sessions will begin when I can finish the spring honey-dues and get the trainroom - and the house in general - presentable for visitors. [We can talk more about that offline...]

like I said, let me know!!!:D

Thats awesome!!!
Too bad I have so much other tasks on my plate right now to try and attempt this, but it's added to my fav's:cool:

Very nice work. I found a cheap $5 Matchbox truck that was similar in design. I have the shell stripped, but never had the time to finish. Needs to be narrowed down a little.

That's totally cool. Great writeup. You should send it into MRH. I think Joe would enjoy it and it has enough photographs that he just may be intrested in using it. Its a unique build and not the common stuff you usually see, which Joe likes for putting into MRH.

Back