Drill

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
I need some help guys. I can't use my pin vise drill much more after 4 or 5 holes drilled. My hands just stiffen up. Has anyone seen or know of a small powered drill that will fit the small drill bits we use?? 80 to 61 size. Thank you in advance. Jerome

I bought a very cheap rechargeable drill for my daughter. When she finished with it, I discovered it had a chuck that held tiny drill sizes. Holds #78 and larger. Black and Decker
9099KC 7.2-Volt Cordless Drill with Keyless Chuck

If the chuck has not changed over the years, you could give it a try.

But be advised, using a large hand held drill with tiny bits can lead to disaster

I've had this drill for 30 years. I love it! Never had a problem with it. It's high quality German made. It's 6" long, so it fits in the palm of your hand. Micro-Mark sells them. It runs on DC and you have to buy a transformer for it. But I've been using my MRC Tech II 2500 to run it, since new, so there is variable speed plus reverse! It's works fine!
The new MM drill has 3x the torque as mine.
I cut the power cord and installed an 8 foot piece of 2-conductor wire with banana plugs, so it will reach anywhere on my layout and over to my work bench.
It doesn't chuck a #80, but chucked a #78 bit and holds firmly. I don't have a #79. The lugs on the case, so it can be mounted on a drill stand.
Here a link: https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Make-MicroLux-High-Torque-1-4-Inch-Drill

CNDWxe9.jpg

wOnrGgr.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, no that would be too big and fast. The same reason I can't use my Dremel tool, goes to fast, actually melts the plastic. I think the first one will have a slow enough speed.

Jerome I was going to say look at Dremel products because they have variable speed dremel tools Variable speed from 5,000 to 35,000 RPM......

or you can do what I do and get a cordless screw driver with an adapter.....variable speed 0-430 rpm

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-8-V...VhcDACh3M0wlNEAQYASABEgJcBPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mike, no that would be too big and fast. The same reason I can't use my Dremel tool, goes to fast, actually melts the plastic. I think the first one will have a slow enough speed.
It's actually not that big only about 14 in tall and the speed is three different speeds due to a pully and belt drive all of them are 0 rpm and up the slowest setting is 0 to 8000 rpm and no I would not use my dremel either even with my speed controller

wvg ca, do you have a brand name on your?
nope .. no brand name listed .. i -think- it was less than ten bucks .. and it runs pretty slowly [variable speed], a lot slower than a dremel ... uses a power pack but will run off a train transformer at one quarter to one half on the transformer dial ... just have to watch which direction it spins in then, lol

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am looking at them all and will find one that works. Lots of good ideas you all gave me.

JEROME -- I use a sewing machine foot pedal all the time with my dremel.
Starting speed is a little too much, but then you can release some pressure and get the RPM down to where it will do plastic shells nicely.
I also use a flexible shaft so as to not have to hold the tool.

Back