open

close

making stairs

looking good, now to make sure they close/open no problem

closed,

half open, added more detail, stair rails

fully open

closed again, fits and work perfect

time to start cracking on the extension roof (sounds like building house :D )

frame ready

separate hard wood strips cut to size with my poor scroll saw, at that stage it's on his breaking point :D
all glued on to frame and tiny toothpick pins inserted in drilled holes to ensure everything stays in place while roof gets some sanding done

now roof sanded smooth and front corners rounded, looking cool...

roof test fitted at this stage...also decided to make only one side as open/close stairs.

This is fantastic. Am enjoying watching this build and look foreward to new pics every week. Thank you for sharing this amazing creation.

more detail work

Brakes for train from 3 individual tiny pieces each

looking good

guess where this goes

outside, so far so good

special plate to be done

to be engraved

engraved and burned

cut and on the train

this train needs some light :)

more detail to go on

looking good

BIG update

few details added,

back wall installed

floor installed, side and top panels added

work on secret compartments (when finished, it'll be hard to tell how they work for those that doesn't know anything about them)
for train top one would be for coal or wood....for train owner, place to hide something :)

adding touch of detail

more details/steam whistles

turning bell and its parts

done

time to upgrade front as my 3yr old son one morning got chance to test trains durability

bending and gluing to get cover for front bars

Grand Finale

battery box to be scratchbuilt....why?....see yourself

dismantled christmas toy that was rarely used and got some parts

built box to hold batteries, box within box for safety

electrical parts added

switch and box wired and test fitted

when switched on, there is cool light on inside train that changes in many different colours
here's this cool feature in action

when my project was finished so far, I entered Dremel Europe competition Dremel Heroes, where result can be seen here
http://www.dremelheroes.com
in case link goes old, here's my you tube video that I made for competition, won Grand prize
enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSlgf20zRQ

after this I decided to take it further and protect my train with yacht varnish
so, here it is done alongside my other project I've been working on for a while...Delorean

most of parts are made from recycled materials, so to me it seemed only right to make base for train from something like this,
this piece is actually cut off from plank that I'm using to make base, it was looking fairly rough :D

with orbital sander sanded top and bottom, then routed around it and something like this came out

rails fit perfect

and looks awesome with train

decided to add more detail rails, toothpicks again

time to add detail to base

looking good

finished

and the winners dinner :)

Thanks to everyone following this project. It has been a pleasure to host it here and see all of the comments ;)

silverlux, as an old woodworker I have to admire your patients and craftsmanship.
Looks very well made.

Love your free hand lathe.

silverlux, as an old woodworker I have to admire your patients and craftsmanship.
Looks very well made.

Love your free hand lathe.
thank you very much my friend, as my first completed project and as one that won something, I think it's a great achievement and great learning curve.
I hope page admins won't mind me posting previous post with link... ;) thank you

I salute you sir silverlux, a Masterpiece in the true sense of the word. After the picture with the De-Loran, I keep envisioning you doing the Locomotive time machine from Back-to-the-Future next!

I salute you sir silverlux, a Masterpiece in the true sense of the word. After the picture with the De-Loran, I keep envisioning you doing the Locomotive time machine from Back-to-the-Future next!
appreciate your comment Gary ;) you never know which way it can go in future... ;)

Back