DPM Powerhouse re-imagineering

I went Micheals (a Canadian craft store) today and didn't find anything but I did go to a home improvment store and got a painted spindle for 6$ as opposed to 20+ for a kit stack that probably won't make as tall a stack:
002-4_zps19565fb3.jpg

I'll cut it on the lines and that will give me a nice tapered stack about 11 1/2" tall. It will be 1 1/2" at the base. If it has to go taller I can make a brick structure underneath out of spare DPM panels. The paint on it already hides any wood grain so painting it concrete will be a snap, I just have to scribe the pour lines into it.

Tjanks for the idea Gary and Rico.

Actually I was going to do a table leg and then a real bat (too big )I saw the little bat and went with it. Glad you liked the idea Glen.

I cut the post and painted it:
010-1_zpsac01b302.jpg

I shaved it up a bit on one side to it will fit against the building's wall better. I chipped the cut on the top but I'll fill that with some putty. The top was drilled out about 2" to give the impression that it was hollow.

As an Aside my two Tichy Hoppers arrived and I built the first one. I'll post progress in the rolling stock forum now that I worked the bugs out of the assembly.

Glen I did a similar thing with modular construction parts.

I had a mainline that wrapped behind a Nabisco Plant and a branchline that I really needed to obscure and hide the fact that it was headed to a hole in the scene divider/backdrop.

So the branchline enters a 3D factory. So both tracks avoid explaining why a pair of tunnel portals are part of the sky background. :eek:

One photo is taken from standing on a ladder - which is a view never seen by guests. The other photo is from a eye height of someone over 6-ft. tall. The tracks seem to just leave town without any ceremony by layering the scenes.

Chas.

I finished off the stack, painting in in an acrylic concrete grey color and airbrushing grimy black over top:
004-3_zps832c31d9.jpg

While I was at it and it's not necessarily part of the structure I cut an old Varney hopper in half to park in the siding track.
005-2_zps551e98fb.jpg

It has a dummy coupler so I don't have to worry about coupling onto it and accidently dragging half a hopper out. I'm thinking of gluing to the track to prevent it fro rolling around.
006-1_zpsc1144379.jpg

Back