DPM Decals?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
It seems as though none of the DPM Kits I bought come with Decals????? Does anyone know a good place to buy store/building decals, other than woodlands?

Other than some of their "Gold" kits, DPM kits have never had decals. I find appropriate signs on the Internet and copy them to Word or Excel and reduce or otherwise adjust them to fit my needs. I then print them on 65# paper and go from there. I also have a huge stockpile of "leftover" decals from the numerous kits that I have assembled over the years. I do realize that you may not have that type of stockpile since you haven't done many "N" scale projects. Another source of pre-printed signs is Blair Line. Their signs are printed on thin styrene and can be cut with scissors. I have used many of their HO signs. Whichever you use, always hit them with a coat of Dull or Gloss coat paint to reduce fading. Here's the Blair Line website:

http://www.blairline.com/bsigns/
Willie

Microscale and Blair Line also makes building / signage decals. And like Willie, I either find historical signage online and print it sized to fit or create custom signage in Word. I have Corel Draw, Inkscape and Gimp, but typically don't use them, only because I haven't taken the time to learn them in depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Willie: Thanks for giving Tony the tip on the Blair signs...I forgot that they made them and offered them for sale.

Thanks.

Greg

Just ordered some signs from Blair and a Blair structure (Road House)...expensive HO day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony - I use Woodland Scenics "Scenic Accent Glue". While similar to Elmer's White Glue, it never dries but remains tacky forever(?). It's white when applied and turns clear which is when you slap the sign on the structure. It is repositionable and removable. I also use it to position figures that I may wish to move later, and to hold some removable roofs in place so I can come back later and add lights and details. Another hint regarding the Blair Line and other similar signs. After cutting them out, I run a Sharpie gray or black marker around the edges to hide the white edge.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/A198/page/1

Willie

willie,

Thanks for the advice and the tips. I'll definitely be getting the Blair Line I think but they may have to wait till next pay day. The CEO is starting to get a little narky about what she refers to as the "recent spending spree" :rolleyes:

Wow, how ironic is this - my wife just came in to see what I was doing and was looking at the kits and the two I have started. She said they looked good (she's biast) but need some signs so you know what they are. Never one to let an opportunity to pass I (funnily enough) mentioned the signs I could get .... long story short, they're ordered and on their way :D

I got the Blair Line Restaurant/Cafe sheet, all of the Main St Sheets and both Tavern/Bar sheets.

microscale and blair line. some of the walthers decals are ok. you can order those also. i know it is not always popular, but there are many decals on ebay that you can get for businesses also. most of them are individuals that make them at home. normally you can contact them off of ebay to purchase them, and they will often resize them to meet your specific needs.

Back