Downtown Deco buildings

RE#1

Has anyone bought these kits? If so what are your thoughts. My first kit was a disaster. I made two more since then.
A5D263DE-7D85-4D95-93E1-913AAD4EB528.jpeg

I have no experience with these kits, so I can't share thoughts. Must say, though - a fine job on both those buildings. I really like the concrete work and weathering on Patterson's.
Do you have photos of the one you say was a 'disaster'?

Thanks for replying. No...I tossed it in the garbage😁. Come to find out I spoke with the owner of the company, Randy and he told me if you mess up a kit he will send you a new set of the castings. Pretty 😎.

Thanks...I use Tru color acrylic paint. If you are not aware, the company has an entire railroad color chart like the old Polly S. I upgraded to a new Iwata airbrush and then layered the paint for the affect.

I still have to finish the roofs on both models. Weathering buildings is difficult for me. I just don’t know when enough is enough. Does anyone have a guideline they go by? For me, I want each building to be different.

These kits are fun. If you never tried one I suggest picking one up. Get one of the smaller less expensive kits and go for it. The technique Randy uses is simple and works. He used to work in the model movie industry. I love using the different layering techniques to simulate the color of brick. I use craft hobby water based paint. It’s cheap and comes in a variety of cool colors.

Has anyone bought these kits? If so what are your thoughts.
I have built five of them. I really love them. Great realistic workmanship and you're correct that he'll send replacement castings if needed. If I break one (I have), I usually just glue it back together with no problem. After priming with paint, you cannot tell. However I had one that broke into many pieces, some lost, during a tornado wind storm which damaged my old train shed, that I had to have replaced.
Here's one of mine.

IMG_5478 (2).JPG

A suggestion if I may, and this applies to any kits that you make. Take a black Sharpie type of pen, or any felt marker, and blacken the edges of your signs before applying to get rid of that white paper cut edge look. Do it from the back so when the pen slips, it doesn't mar the sign.

By the way dig on your build. Was it easy to construct the multiple buildings? I find the castings sometimes are too short or need to be sanded. Are you using an epoxy glue?

They all need sanding to fit together well, I use a large fine flat file and it just takes a couple of strokes. The multiple buildings are all a single casting, so the one pictured is just four walls. I use Walther's Goo since that's what I had on hand. To repair the broken casting, I just use Elmer's White Glue.
Yes, the castings can vary in size; I just make the roof to fit. Gives the structures some character. It really isn't noticeable on the layout. They are actually very simple kits. I spend far more time painting them to give them the same type of look that you achieved.
Here's another one.
IMG_5477 (2).JPG

This one is actually two separate structures. I made the base from Evergreen Styrene.

The kits are great and I would seal the plaster before painting.
Yes indeed. I assemble the walls first and then give them a thorough sealing, both inside and outside, with Krylon white primer in the rattle cans. It's because I am too lazy to set up and dismantle my airbrush. I think that any white primer would work. I also use various brand acrylics to then hand paint.
RE #1 - Here is one of those "smaller kits" that I have also done. By the way, do you have a real name or do you prefer to remain anonymous?
05-20-18 019.JPG
This picture was taken just before I touched up the paint a bit. The camera exposes all sins!

I like the first building especially the windows have good depth,and the brick work has good corners,so many models have poor cornering.

Back