Download for a grade calculator

SilverBlade

In doing my own homework on grades, I've come accross a lot of posts from people trying to figure out how to calculate them. I've made so many calculations myself I finally just created an Excel spreedsheet to do the math for me.

If anyone wants to use it you can upload it here: Grade Calculator.xls - 45 KB

You'll need MSExcel '93 or later. I tried to make it as simple to use as possible. I'd like to hear any feed back if anyone tries to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rise divided by run (height divided by length)

8 inches rise divided by 200 inches run = 0.04 = 4%

No spreadsheet needed. :)

Bruce

20 inches at 1%, then 24 inches at 2% for an easement. Then 110 inches at 3% then back off to 2% for another 18 inches and finally 1% for the last 40 inches. And how high will that get me? Hang on while I figure this out. Hmmm maybe a spread sheet might be useful after all. Ah yes, there we go: Just shy of 5 inches.

But now suppose I have 130 inches of distance and I need to climb 5 1/4 inches to clear my highest husky? Hmmm, at that rate I need a 3.9% average grade. Might need to take that one back to the drawing board.

Anyone can figure a 2% grade at a quarter inch rise per ft. It's the harder problems I made this for. Use it if you need it. Leave it if you don't.

Grade Calculator

Nice work with the spread sheet.
I was wondering if you found out how to calculate grade on when a curve is present.
My dilemma is this:
I have (essentially) 22" curves making a bit more than a half circle. The TOTAL linear length as the crow flies would be 44 inches. The rise is ab out 3.5 inches.
This would indicate an aprox grade of 8 percent.
However, if the linear meausrement as the train rolls it is closer to aprox 80 inches, which would be about 4.4 percent.

which is accurate???

I have (essentially) 22" curves making a bit more than a half circle. The TOTAL linear length as the crow flies would be 44 inches. The rise is ab out 3.5 inches.
This would indicate an aprox grade of 8 percent.
However, if the linear meausrement as the train rolls it is closer to aprox 80 inches, which would be about 4.4 percent.

which is accurate???

The crow has to fly directly above the track. :)

And remember that your train on a curved grade is harder to pull than the same train on a straight grade.

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:

Back