Download a building, one free

Why don't you down load the free sample, build it and take a picture of it on your layout or diorama, It would be great to see it on several layouts

I just bought three of the UK downloads, i got brick low relief arches, pavement (concrete) and roadway's including signs, bollards and cones.

Yes that's cool stuff. I've downloaded some brick sheets but did not print them out myself. I've uploaded them to a photo print website and had them printed on glossy photo paper, excellent quality for a buck or so.
Now I have to draw a plan for a large warehouse by the tracks and stock up on styrene, grandt line windows and detail parts.

Regards,

René

This is great. Thanks for the link, Steve. I've built many paper models over the years and have even tried some based on 3D rendering textures. The results looked great at times, cartoonish other times. But nothing I've come up with looks as nice as this stuff. It's hard to beat textures made from actual photos.

Not only that, the building kits are intricate enough to belie their humble paper beginnings. I was very impressed with the brick viaducts on the UK side of the site, but the factory is what knocked me out. Wow!

I downloaded the sample shed, so once I figure out what thickness styrene to use as a substrate for the thin cardstock (the humidity here varies too wildly to use card as a permanent building material), I'll get to work. I'll post my results, too.

Cool site! I wonder if I could just print it directly onto thin styrene...I know it wouldn't work with an inkjet but I have a color laser printer to work with. Anybody know of convenient 8.5" x 11" styrene sheets?

Cool site! I wonder if I could just print it directly onto thin styrene...I know it wouldn't work with an inkjet but I have a color laser printer to work with. Anybody know of convenient 8.5" x 11" styrene sheets?
I use plastic sheets that WM throws away. They are sign material. Sign on 1 side & white on the other. Go to a sign shop & see if they have any free scraps or buy a 4x4ft sheet & then cut them down.
Why couldn't you spray paint the styrene sheets w/clear paint like I do my decal paper? That keeps the ink from running or pealing when you touch them.
I downloaded the containers off that sight I saw here & printed quite a few on photo paper. Then I sprayed the photo paper w/clear paint to hold in the ink. How about printing onto sticker paper or decal paper & then you could use any thickness of plastic you want.
I make a lot of buildings out of the waffle board plastic. It's about 1/4" thick & makes beautiful buildings. Instaed of clear spray paint you could use Matte spray to tone down the gloss.
Just a few of my ideas that I use.

Larry

Just another short note!!
I buy all my diff. papers from my WallyWorld. I use the Sticker Project Paper for all my special projects & it's cheap & it's 15 sheets to a pak.

Larry

You might want to hold off on that, Nate. The heat created by a laser printer will melt any styrene thin enough to print on and then you will have a real mess on your hands.

But, you might try printing to a white decal paper, like Microscale's white trim film or Bare Metal Foil's blank white stock. Then you could apply the decal directly to the styrene substrate. However, you'd want to make sure the styrene model is evenly primed with white paint, because none of these decal films are totally opaque.

I will likely stick with the actual paper itself instead of decals, but the decal option is something you might consider instead of ruining a laser printer.;)

I visited the website and bought the US Roads and Sidewalks set as well as the Modern Service Facility. Now it's just a matter of putting this stuff together...

Glad you like them gent's, i'v got an ink shortage till weekend so can't do any just yet:mad: should be fun though:D

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to hold off on that, Nate. The heat created by a laser printer will melt any styrene thin enough to print on and then you will have a real mess on your hands.

But, you might try printing to a white decal paper, like Microscale's white trim film or Bare Metal Foil's blank white stock. Then you could apply the decal directly to the styrene substrate. However, you'd want to make sure the styrene model is evenly primed with white paint, because none of these decal films are totally opaque.

I will likely stick with the actual paper itself instead of decals, but the decal option is something you might consider instead of ruining a laser printer.;)

Hmm, good thought!

I've run all kinds of decal paper and adhesive labels through and they do come out hot. I might be able to run some relatively heavy stuff through though, as it's already sucked multiple sheets of stuck-together cardstock and photo paper through. It also handles transparency sheets, which are much thinner than the styrene, though certainly of a different material. I guess the best thing I could do is borrow a temp gun from the shop and see how hot it actually gets in there :rolleyes:

I guess the best thing I could do is borrow a temp gun from the shop and see how hot it actually gets in there :rolleyes:
That sounds like a very scientific approach! I'd like to know the results of your findings on that one, although I don't have access to a color laser printer anymore.

I have an Epson printer that uses the durabright inks (the really ridiculously overpriced non-smudging ink) that I hope does a good job with these. Actually, it's done better with CAD drawings than the laser printers at work in terms of resolution. But, my efforts at printing directly to styrene sheet (0.010" and 0.005" thick sheet) have been less than satisfactory. They're good enough for printing the cut lines on the styrene, which was the intent of the exercise, but it looked horrible.

As for this project, I've been busy shuttling the family around to Independence Day events today, so I didn't get to try out the printing yet. But, I probably will tonight once everyone is asleep. I just have to keep telling myself "this is not a weekend" and force myself to go to bed at a decent hour. I do have work tomorrow!:D

To anyone who's got the US Roads & sidewalks, lemme know how they turn out, I might try them out on my Burger King mini-module.

I just printed them on A4 paper, what type of glue should I use for cereal box cardboard? (just finished the weetbix for breakfast yesterday;) Yumm:D )

Ken.

They look fabulous. If you have any Illustrator (or similar graphics software) skills, you should be able to take markings from the MUTCD and apply them to the asphalt blanks to get more variations in paving markings. But, I'm sure the ones included will keep you busy.

I just printed them on A4 paper, what type of glue should I use for cereal box cardboard? (just finished the weetbix for breakfast yesterday;) Yumm:D )

Ken.

Try a spray adhesive or a glue stick.

I'm useing PVA with a tooth pick to put it on right now

here we are, free download, station shelter in this case bus stop, got to stick the road and pavement down yet. The brick pillars were tricky to fold, next time we do it we should get it better.
some of the parts like roof, sidewalls and backwall are two ply, I.E. the inside sticks to the outside, by placing a thin piece of styrene or balsa wood in between it should be easier to get it spot on
P7060027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back