Double track main and Walther's double cross over

Gbeeman

Hi new to the forum and searched but didn't find an answer. I have a double track main line with a Walther's double crossover. I planned to have each main in a separate power district. To my surprise when I wired up the first district (the inside main) I found that the outside main was also powered. So I think I have two choices. Put them in the same power district or figure out how to isolate them at the crossover. Any help would be appreciated. My layout is 5X10 if that helps.

Thanks,

Gbeeman

Doesn't sound right to me.I have two double crossovers and have no problems at all. In this photo, the locomotive is on the main line, and the other track is the yard lead. I do operate DC only but do have two walk around throttles and have no power feed through from one side to the other. This is a Shinohara (Walther) that has been in use for over 20 years.

IMAG0197.jpg

I have another one in a yard on the other side of the layout and again, no problems like you are having.

Logan yard.jpg

I really didn't want to use a double crossover in either location, but due to the limited real estate, there wasn't much choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gbeeman:

I would not use two power districts on a 5 x 10 layout. I suggest to keep it simple and stay with one district, especially if are operating alone. <My layout is 16 x 11 or so, more of large shelf with two larger 6 x 6 areas and no problems.

Larger layouts use power districts to keep the entire layout from going down if there should be a short cause by a locomotive running a turnout or other reason.

A quick guess at your problem is a turnout is power routing to the other main...is all your wiring complete? Can your use a multi-meter and test the track for continuity when the track power is off?

Greg

Gbeeman:

Another reason for power districts is to divide a large layout into sections (districts) to prevent over loading a Booster/Command Station by running too many locomotives o DCC powered devices in one section.

Thanks.

Greg

Back