Don't forget to Check the simple things on your DCC engines.

Ericsauto

I have a A-B-C EMD f3 units from Precision Craft Models ( Old BLI). I have lost the sound with LOK decoders. I have been frustrated trying to find replacement decoders. Last night I tore them down and did some diagnostics. The decoders operate fine for my use but I really miss their sound. I found that when I took the shells off and flip the speakers up that this is where I found this issue. I put them on the track and pushed on the speaker material and the sound came back as long as I held pressure on the speaker. There are 4 speakers total and 3 of them are bad. They just get dry I guess and I was about to spend a small fortune on new sound decoders. Now the new speakers will cost me around $32.00 shipped from Micro-Mark. Lesson learned not to assume what is wrong until you do a little Diag. work.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8ca9.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_8ca7.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_8ca8.jpg

Eric, I’m pretty sure they are 100 ohm speakers. Is that what you are getting?

https://www.micromark.com/Railmaster-High-Quality-8-Ohm-Speaker-Model-No-DS28RND-8
From what I read these are the best replacement to get better sound. What do you think?
I got several some time ago with the intention of replacing the speakers (1 per engine) in my Genesis SD70ACe's and GE ES44AC's, which use that same 28mm diameter. I changed one engine, but can't say their was much of a difference, so never got round to doing the others.

Recently I got another rountuit and bought Tsunami2's to put into the 2 MTH DCC ready ACe's I have, they have 2 speaker compartments (enclosures) in the fuel tank, firing down and also 28mm. I have them wired in series, so that increases the impedance to 16 ohms. I sealed them in with tacky glue. The sound is brilliant and crisp. The TSU2 having 2 watts audio power, handles the twin speakers easily, but so should 1 watt with that 16 ohm, that is usually what (watt?) older decoders put out (higher the impedance wattage, the less strain on the amplifier, but with reduced volume usually) I have 2 more of the MTH locos and now 2 more TSU2;s for them. In their cases a full removal of Mike's DCS decoders will occur.

I put the less noticable improvement on the Genesis locos to the enclosure used in those early models.

I got several some time ago with the intention of replacing the speakers (1 per engine) in my Genesis SD70ACe's and GE ES44AC's, which use that same 28mm diameter. I changed one engine, but can't say their was much of a difference, so never got round to doing the others.

Recently I got another rountuit and bought Tsunami2's to put into the 2 MTH DCC ready ACe's I have, they have 2 speaker compartments (enclosures) in the fuel tank, firing down and also 28mm. I have them wired in series, so that increases the impedance to 16 ohms. I sealed them in with tacky glue. The sound is brilliant and crisp. The TSU2 having 2 watts audio power, handles the twin speakers easily, but so should 1 watt with that 16 ohm, that is usually what (watt?) older decoders put out (higher the impedance wattage, the less strain on the amplifier, but with reduced volume usually) I have 2 more of the MTH locos and now 2 more TSU2;s for them. In their cases a full removal of Mike's DCS decoders will occur.

I put the less noticeable improvement on the Genesis locos to the enclosure used in those early models.

I notice that a lot of people were saying Marklin's 100 Ohm were hard to find or not made anymore and the went to 8 ohms. Some said the sound was lower which is ok by me because I turn my sound down. I only like to hear my sound from 4 feet away. I appreciate the input.

I recently started using iPhone 4 and 6 speakers. So far they are holding up and the sound is good. Price cant be beat. I just installed a Tsunami2 in this old Proto 2000 with dual iPhone 4 speakers (they are 8 ohm each in series). Also installed a small TCS current keeper.

Last edited:
This is no help to your speaker problem, but I just wanted to say how much I admire a Burlington/California Zephyr fan (A-B-A F3's in passenger livery.)

Back