Dogcatching the Local

funnelfan

The thing about a recession is that the managers are quick to cut jobs, but slow to add them back. The same holds true in railroading, and that often causes trouble when the business starts coming back. Back a couple years ago when things got real slow, the local trainmaster cut the day shift city switcher in the industrial city of Post Falls. His idea was that the local between the Half Moon Yard and Post Falls would spot and pull a few "Hot Loads" during the day and the night switcher would do the bulk of the work. Well the business is coming back now, and there are more than a few "Hot Loads" now. So much so that the local never finished it's work in Post Falls, let alone getting back to the yard.
As a extra board engineer, when the trainmaster calls you about thirty seconds after you get off the phone with the crew caller, you know he's got either his superior or a customer breathing down his neck. "Ted, that damned local crew went dead before they switched out the Furniture factory and the Cannery, and now they're all hopping mad. I need you and the boys to get out there and get this mess straightened out."
After marking on at the terminal, we hop in the van for a hour long trip to Post Falls. The Local's power is tied down on siding next to a convenient crossing. The conductor's digging through the paperwork while I'm giving the power a once over. Power untied, it's off to the Furniture factory. I vaguely recall the trainmaster saying something that they were running out of room in their warehouse, and desperately needed some empty boxes. Bad news, they're only going to get one box today....I'll let the TM deal with them.
Post Falls is amazing tangle of spurs and sidings, bisected by roads and alleys. You carefully poke out onto the city streets hoping not to trade paint with a kamikaze truck driver. Your extra board conductor and brakeman only have a few years under their belts, and have only worked in this town hardly a dozen times between them. They're almost lost trying to figure out which switch gets us to the desired track. Last time you saw the conductor he was marching off in the direction of the yard office in search of a track schematic. The brakeman guides you to a hook onto a box full of sofas. You whisk that car back out into the small yard that supports these industrial spurs. You drop that car and pull a empty box from the strong of inbound cars, along with a couple insulated boxes for the cannery.
The conductor finally rejoins the crew, plopping down a well worn hand drawn map of the city tracks. I quip "that you're a little late with that Joe...., we already found the factory." We shove the empty into the factory and come back to the RBL's, and head off to the other side of town where the cannery is. The Cannery had a couple reefers full of seafood that they are itching to get movin'.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
The final switch of the day was to respot the three hoppers on the cement spur and then build our outbound train. Another hour spent assembling the train we creep out the branch heading out of Post Falls to the mainline. Arriving at the hold signal to the mainline switch we ring up the dispatcher. We can hardly believe our luck when the DS practically rolls out the green carpet. I kick off the air and pull the throttle to the second notch to get our short train moving and then proceed to notch out from there to 8th notch. The old 645 engines are a little worn, but sure sound sweet none-the-less when working under load. In no time at all I'm backing off the throttle as the train attains track speed on the high iron. Going back and forth between notch 2 and 3 to maintain speed. Sure feels good rolling along the water than creeping around an industrial area.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Before we know it, the good ride is over as we arrive at the main yard. A trim job has the east end tied up at the moment, so we roll down the main to the west end where well back in off the main and down the west lead into the yard. We slow to about 5mph passing the west lead switch as the conductor jumps off. "5 cars now local......a couple more.........that'll do when you get them stopped". After lining the train into the west lead, the conductor rides an old bay window caboose on the shove all the way back to the caboose track. Once the conductors cuts off the caboose, he makes off for the nearby yard office to turn in his paperwork. Meanwhile we pull up onto the west end ladder where the brakeman hops off. I ease the short train into track three. Soon the brakeman's back tying a couple cars on the west end of the cut, and cuts the power off. A short trip to the "house tracks" to turn over the power to the hostler on duty (assuming he can be found) and we'll be off this train. The yard van gets us to the yard office, were we find the TM grilling Joe about what work was done. Joe's trying his best to convince the TM his life would be easier if just reinstate the day city switcher....good luck with that!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Ted, that's a great story and awesome photos!
I'm loving that litter in the second pic, I'm planning that around my paper mill where we spot the inbound recycle loads.
Great job on the switchers too!

Took me a while to dig up the final plan I drew. I was lead designer of that part of the layout, and there were several evolutions that lead up to this design, and even then, there were several changes made from this plan to what was built on the layout. But this plan will give you a fair idea of the layout of the tracks. The key thing about the design is that there is a large pole right in the middle of the scene that supports the building above. I clustered a bunch of tall buildings around the post to hide it, which was very effective. The club was in need of a industrial area with heavy switching. The area turned out to better than expected and is a great place to switch. It can be a real challenge as you bring in about 15 cars and sort them on the short sidings.

attachment.php

Back