Does HO Track Ever Wear Out???

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I was reading an article where a fellow experienced his HO rail wearing out on curves due to what he claims was the metal wheels sets and the weight of his rolling stock. I have heard of some one's rail being damaged and affected by his over use of abrasive cleaners.

Have you ever heard of HO rail wearing out and require replacing?

Greg

There is a model railroad in Gadsden, AL that is running all day, every day for visitors at the central library. On some of the curves the rail was worn down to almost razor thin till someone noticed it.

I recall at a club near where I live one of the track crew was complaining that people were careless about how much load they tried to pull up a winding hidden grade. People would let the locos slip their wheels, and over the years there had been significant rail wear. The maintenance guy wasn't looking forward to replacing the rail in this awkward location.

I'd say considering the posts above, that if your MRR followed all the rules about grades (no more that 2.5 % , 3 max), track curvature having been super-elevated (banked), not over-heavy rolling stock and trains not so long as to overburden the locomotive/s, I think you have nothing to worry about for years and years, if ever..And, If it ever did occur you'd simply replace such worn track. But on a home layout that's scarce..Fuggeddaboudit. Have fun.....M

Last edited by a moderator:

Back