DODX 3 axle trucks

dougcnup

Does anyone know where i can get trucks likes these or similiar? Thanks in advance. Doug
DODX%2040139_Shreveport%20LA_Bryce%20Denny_2007-09-20_50309.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly the closest commercially availible ones I've seen are the trucks on Walthers Hot Metal cars and on those the roller bearings are covered.

They are 3 axle buckeyes and have 36" wheels. Several companies, including Athearn, make them. They are available separately from Athearn. Just check Walthers. Sorry I can't remember the names of the other makers.

There are no trucks available for those cars, there are some that are close but the wheel base is off. I have been looking for something suitable in Plastic, Brass, Resin, Etc. and haven't found anything. This is a car that I hope some manufacturer will make one of these days but no one has stepped up to the plate except for brass which it will be hard to make a unit train with cars costing around $300 each.

There are no trucks available for those cars, there are some that are close but the wheel base is off...

Yeah that is correct, but by using the regular buckeyes, he could at least have a car rolling instead of sitting. I really doubt that someone would be pulling out a caliper or scale rule to catch the error.

There are no trucks available for those cars, there are some that are close but the wheel base is off. I have been looking for something suitable in Plastic, Brass, Resin, Etc. and haven't found anything. This is a car that I hope some manufacturer will make one of these days but no one has stepped up to the plate except for brass which it will be hard to make a unit train with cars costing around $300 each.

Maybe the con-sys trucks are correct? They make them separate to go wit their schnabel kits

Those con-sys trucks look like garbage to me. Maybe its just the photo's.

I've been looking for decent buckeye trucks myself and only ones I've seen that look good are brass ones. Greenway products had a nice set but now I dont see it on there site. I may try a set of precision scale buckeye trucks. They come as a kit. The athearn ones are good if you just want to throw on a pair of buckeyes. When I order a con-sys kit i want nicely detailed trucks.

Those con-sys trucks look like garbage to me. Maybe its just the photo's.

I've been looking for decent buckeye trucks myself and only ones I've seen that look good are brass ones. Greenway products had a nice set but now I dont see it on there site. I may try a set of precision scale buckeye trucks. They come as a kit. The athearn ones are good if you just want to throw on a pair of buckeyes. When I order a con-sys kit i want nicely detailed trucks.

Yeah, the con-sys trucks are molded in resin, with very poor detail.

I have a set of the Precision buckeyes and they are very nice. They roll very well for brass trucks.

I too would like a pic. I will gladly spend the extra cash for a decent set of buckeye trucks to go on my future CON-SYS schnabel or ginormous depressed flat car.

I don't have any pix of them, but here is the link- http://www.precisionscaleco.com/

Just click on the "Trucks" link at the top of the page. Choose your scale, and choose steam trucks. The kit is brass and not hard to build at all. If you wanted to you could also add IM ball bearing wheels and have them roll even better.

How do the IM Ball bearing wheels work? Do the wheels turn independently of the axle?

The wheels spin freely on the axles. They cost more than normal wheelsets obviously. But to give you an idea on how well they work, one of our clubmembers has a 13 car brass Powhattan Arrow passenger train. He pulls it around the club layout with a Bachmann Class J with no problems at all. Prior to the wheel change over to IM wheels, the loco could only pull about 4 of the cars.

I don't have any pix of them, but here is the link- http://www.precisionscaleco.com/

Just click on the "Trucks" link at the top of the page. Choose your scale, and choose steam trucks. The kit is brass and not hard to build at all. If you wanted to you could also add IM ball bearing wheels and have them roll even better.

Those arent to bad. Might have to do some trimming and filing to remove those brake components on the ends as they pic on page 1 doesn't show those.

These are another pair that I like, but they look way to long. This site had the perfect pair but they sold out a few years ago.

Here's another pair

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought myself a set of Eastern Car works buckeye trucks, and scraped off the solid bearings, replacing them with roller bearings cut off some scrap trucks. I'll upload photos once the Reboxx wheels arrive.

seems like Eastern Car works in no longer around. But i think i may have found closest trucks from Bethlehem Car Works 718-146

Truck_Kit_146_300dpi.jpg

Back