Do you operate multiple eras?

TLOC

I have been operating trains on 2 dates. Both modern but 10 years apart. 2005 and 2015. I started out in 2014 after retirement to prototypically model Central Wisconsin, the Valley Sub of the CN. I did that as I could still operate at the time my large roster of Wisconsin Central locomotives. CN purchased the WC in 10/2001.

Since then I also started buying newer rolling stock many with build dates after 2000. I like to buy and sell rolling stock. So I decided on 2015, with most of my WC locomotives sold off, it was CN all the way (sorry Santa FE).

Now I have been thinking of selling off the 2005 fleet of rolling stock. The inventory conducted earlier this week yielded 27 cars to be run at the 2005 opt sessions and 27 more that could be run for either session, 2005 or 2015. The 2015 session yielded a count of 22 for running, as the build dates were 2000 or later. The cars for either session are basically my pulp car, wood chip and box cars for the paper mill fleets.

How do you if you run multiple dates handle your rolling stock? I do not have for room 76 cars on the layout unless some cars are just run from staging to staging. I also dislike having cars kept in drawers.

The cars for 2005 or prior are mostly my remaining few Roundhouse, some Accurail, a couple BB, a few Scaletrains River counter carbon cars, a couple Kit Classics and Walthers (both Proto and Mainline series cars). All good runners. Easily sold if I decide to reduced to one operations date.

These would be the 1st 9 sold
9C2E1913-3430-43A7-BE2E-023D0522E3D3.jpeg
32C93945-D1B7-47B3-87B7-F815B612BDFB.jpeg
F74AAC69-9F5C-444E-B237-A871EA91F93F.jpeg

I have been operating trains on 2 dates. Both modern but 10 years apart. 2005 and 2015. I started out in 2014 after retirement to prototypically model Central Wisconsin, the Valley Sub of the CN. I did that as I could still operate at the time my large roster of Wisconsin Central locomotives. CN purchased the WC in 10/2001.

Since then I also started buying newer rolling stock many with build dates after 2000. I like to buy and sell rolling stock. So I decided on 2015, with most of my WC locomotives sold off, it was CN all the way (sorry Santa FE).

Now I have been thinking of selling off the 2005 fleet of rolling stock. The inventory conducted earlier this week yielded 27 cars to be run at the 2005 opt sessions and 27 more that could be run for either session, 2005 or 2015. The 2015 session yielded a count of 22 for running, as the build dates were 2000 or later. The cars for either session are basically my pulp car, wood chip and box cars for the paper mill fleets.

How do you if you run multiple dates handle your rolling stock? I do not have for room 76 cars on the layout unless some cars are just run from staging to staging. I also dislike having cars kept in drawers.

The cars for 2005 or prior are mostly my remaining few Roundhouse, some Accurail, a couple BB, a few Scaletrains River counter carbon cars, a couple Kit Classics and Walthers (both Proto and Mainline series cars). All good runners. Easily sold if I decide to reduced to one operations date.

These would be the 1st 9 sold
View attachment 157103View attachment 157104View attachment 157105
I didn't know these were being sold, dang! must have missed that post.

Not really. I model the 1940's- 1960, when, as a little kid, I rode the Zephyrs and later the C&NW 400's. I do have some more modern stuff that I could run if young kids were interested in model railroading. Unfortunately, with the pandemic, I haven't had any youngsters in, and my grandchildren are grown and live out-of-state, and the third one is in high school and has other interests. ☹️

Not really. I model the 1940's- 1960, when, as a little kid, I rode the Zephyrs and later the C&NW 400's. I do have some more modern stuff that I could run if young kids were interested in model railroading. Unfortunately, with the pandemic, I haven't had any youngsters in, and my grandchildren are grown and live out-of-state, and the third one is in high school and has other interests. ☹️
Thanks

I don't run multiple eras, but my era stretches from 1978 to 1994. I am comfortable running Dash9-44CW's, GP60's, CF7's, SD40-2's, and SD45's. Other than me, no one else knows anything about "build dates" that views my layout. Since I run ATSF, I can run with cabooses on all the trains with blue/yellow warbonnets, and no cabooses with the red/silver warbonnet units. The transition date for both is about the same.

Why would one sell beautiful cars like that? Do you want the money, the thrill of the change of era or area?
We don't have a lay out (yet). We have rolling stuff from different countries in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA from era's that are so much apart they could never ever been in 1 train. And still I never ever want to get rid of 1 single item.
There is a little story behind every engine or car that no one knows except the 2 owners (me and my boyfriend).
Example: I bought a very cheap plastic no-detailed coal hopper in a small shop in Seattle. I had no idea what it was. After that I walked to the yard close by to sit there and just watched the yard, the (little) activity BN (just green, no sign of the coming merger) yard had. In front of me a scale 1:1 example of the car I just owned in HO. You think I want to get rid of that car? NO!

Thanks for all the comments. Until recently I ran all the cars no matter the build dates. But moving everything to 2015 simplifies the buying for me.

Mara, I do like to turn over the rolling stock. I am trying to get to a balance of cars needed for the industries on the layout. Sell now buy something new tomorrow if it fits the scheme or the need. I will get to that point that the urge to sell and buy is lessened but I am not there yet.

Willie, I have no issue with folks running modern behind steam

Brian, I started that way, buying what I liked. My impulse buying got a bit out of hand. One of the reasons I went with 2005 when I retired.

iron horseman, I no longer mix the eras. If it’s built after 2000 I won’t run it when I run the 2005 date. I weather my equipment and even 5 years after the build dates, cars are still really clean. Dusty or dirty but my weathering is a bit more heavy handed then light weathering. Too ME they would look out of place

Tom, if the clubs in my area had a permanent layout I would join. But they don’t, they are modular. I belonged to 2 clubs in the 70’s and running what you had was fun. Always neat to see 3 diesels pulling 50 cars or the Steam pulling 5-10. I do my selling on Facebook.

trailrider, As a kid it was first the Grand Trunk and later in the suburbs when we moved, Rock Island. In Chicago it was Santa Fe passenger stuff. For some reason though I never have had the need or want to run passengers. If I did it would be the 1960’s and the Santa Fe in the Chicago area. Dad would take me over to the diesel serving area and passenger yard around 55th street ( I think) in Chicago. Not sure of the exact location but the red and silver passenger locomotives are still a great memory

Thanks everyone

I do op sessions on the D&J Railroad. For the most part, operations are in the later era of 1980s forward, but occasionally I'll conduct a steam only op session. All modern stuff is removed from the layout. i.e. intermodal and the industrial area for that is converted to a 1930-1940s industry. With the size of the layout, it takes awhile to do that conversion.

I could run the C&NW North Shore bi-level "push-pull" suburban trains, (I have two cars and a diesel locomotive, mostly sitting on my display shelf above my layout). That is what my Dad (and sometimes I) would take from the northern suburbs to downtown and back. Those were the green and yellow, smoothside cars, with the cab in the end so the engineer could run towards Chicago. The Burlington also had a setup like that, but their bi-levels were fluted stainless steel. Interestingly, Metra uses the old Burlington bi-levels on the northshore lines. Last I saw, the stainless was looking pretty grungy. And they have those locomotives like Rapido just brought out in HO. I have a model of the "Q" bi-levels on my layout. But it is pulled by Zephyr "motor" 9908, that I kitbashed from some Athearn bluebox parts some years ago. Used the pattern for the shovelnose from an article in Model Railroader. Number 9908 was the last shovelnose built, and featured a single A-1-A power truck that became the norm on the E-units. (The shovelnoses went out of production when the Brotherhood got on the railroad's case because of lack of protection for the crew in the event of collisions at grade crossings. The "bulldog" front ends gave the crew better visibility and safety.) Ah, those were the days!

I run trains from multiple eras. But, for any train I run, I try and make it a prototypical train, appropriate for the era. :)👍

For instance, I don't run auto racks and/or stack trains behind steam engines. And I don't run wood-sided reefers and/or stock cars behind modern day diesels. If it ain't era-appropriate, it gags me out. 🤢 🤮:p:D

And as for some of the guys in our club, you should see some of the combinations they run at train shows. o_O:eek: Woof-da! :rolleyes:

Trailrider and Mixed freight. Thanks for the comments.

Trailrider, looks like we both grew up in the Chicago area. But, I moved to Wisconsin for school in 1970 and except for a couple years after graduation, I haven’t left. Used to ride the Rock Island…

1. This hobby is an emotional pit for almost all participants. Ya gotta be happy with yourself and with your trains.
2. In view of Rule #1, above, you should know what pleases you, and should pursue it while being mindful of costs and time.
3. Never argue with another hobbyist over what is right for them. You're almost certainly wrong, and they're almost certainly right.

So, with those simple rules, I run whatever gets under my skin when I see it. I run modern SD-70M diesels, older diesels, older steamers and modern ones. I do it on one layout, the one I have. The layout offers three seasons, including winter and fall. My trains run through each season twice during each complete loop (it's a folded loop design, so trains have to go around the benchwork twice to end up at their starting point.

Back