Do you have any idea?

formykids

Hello, I am not a railroad enthusiast but I think my grandson will be. He loves Thomas the Tank Engine.

I came across a few boxes of cars by Ahearn at a yard sale that look vintage. Are these good products? The price on of the boxes was $2.50 so they might be older.

Should I but them and keep them for my Grandson or pass n them.

Thank you

The chances are about 50:50 that they will be good products. The Athearn product line is reliable for cars even as old as 60 years. It really depends on whether or not they ave been abused by kids or not. $2.50 is not a bad price even if they need a little work, especially if they will be used by a grandson.

If the cars look complete, they are good starter rolling stock.
Replacing all the trucks, wheels and couplers is not hard, but it can be expensive for the car quality.

If you could post a couple of pictures of them it would be great, we could then give you better and more helpful suggestions.

Hello, I am not a railroad enthusiast but I think my grandson will be. He loves Thomas the Tank Engine.

I came across a few boxes of cars by Ahearn at a yard sale that look vintage. Are these good products? The price on of the boxes was $2.50 so they might be older.

Should I but them and keep them for my Grandson or pass n them.
Athearn carried the hobby for almost 50 years. I would say unless they have been really misused it is a good deal and great start.

Back