Do you hand lay your track?

Ash Pit

Do you hand lay your track? If so what do you use as track bed? I know that Homasote/Homabed holds spikes very well and would be a good choice for a product to use, if it were readily available. I think Homabed is no longer being made and Homasote can be difficult to find. Thanks to all who respond!

No, I don't hand lay my track. Homasote can be purchased at Menards. It's often sold as sound board insulation, but it's messy to cut. I use a razor knife and make repeated passes. It's the cleanest way I've found to deal with it.

Yup. In the month of December I have handlaid Birdsboro Yard. 3 #6 switches, 3 curved switches, 1 #5 3 way switch, 16 #5 switches. I used about 3000 crossties, 750 switch ties, 4200 spikes. All the switches and the staging yard was done in code 70, the local yard in code 55.

All are laid on Homasote.

BB1225.jpg
BB1225Belt.jpg
BB1225Wye.jpg

Nice work Dave. You have much more patience than me. That should answer the OP's question, No I don't. Several of the guys over in the Coffee Shop do handlay though. It may take them some time to respond over here.

Our hardware store the other day never even heard of homesote up here in Halifax. I never did either till I came here to the forum.
It may be known by a different name. Here in Queensland Australia, it's called Canex, because it's made from the compressed fibers of Sugar Cane. In New Zealand, where I'm from, it was made from the same compressed fibers but the wood was Radiata Pine and called Pinex insulating board. It is or was much used for notice boards because of it's ability to be painted green or black and hold thumb pressed pins. It's common use there was as ceilings in houses etc, because of it's excellent insulation.

Are there other materials that can be used? I have used Homasote under my yards, in my present layout and have found the material grows and shrinks with humidity levels. So, yes, I do have a dehumidifier that runs all summer long, when the humidity runs higher.

Thanks for your info!

Last edited:
I need to appologize to everyone, When I get into something, I tend to look at it like I have asked the complete question. Most of the time, when I ask questions, I find that I have not been specific enough! Sorry about this!

Certainly, I would not be wanting to handlay track to save money, although savings are had by handlaying turnouts. No, the reason I'm interested in hand laying, is the fun and relaxation of doing so. Everyones interests are different.

Do you hand lay your track? If so what do you use as track bed? I know that Homasote/Homabed holds spikes very well and would be a good choice for a product to use, if it were readily available. I think Homabed is no longer being made and Homasote can be difficult to find.
Yes sometimes.

Below is some I laid on my former club layout, it is laid on an extremely dense cardboard. Saved this when the layout was razed. Holds ties and spikes really well. Don't let it get soaked it will warp. Tried to get a side shot so you could see the layers. At one time someone called it upson board, but it doesn't look anything like the upson board shown on the HomeDepot website. No I do not know where to get it anymore.

Then there is another product called Micor. Works just like homasote. Found information on it but don't know where to buy it anymore. http://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_...iber-board-applications-brochure-en-IW801.pdf

20201229_103912[1].jpg

Last edited:
Dave 1905, I was told that Home Depot has Micore. However I did n't find it, when I went to there webstore, instead I found a product called Wonderboard Lite in sizes 1/4 thich by 5 ft. by 3 ft. If this is Micore, is anybody's guess. I would like to see this stuff to determine if it might be usable.

Last edited:
I hand lay my turnouts, but for regular track, I go pre-made (mostly flex track).

As for the Homasote, I have a 1/2" thick 4'x4' section that I used as a base for my O scale 'round-the-Christmas-Tree train that had gotten wet in a basement flood. I decided to try cutting it up into roadbed for the HO train. I got ONE STRIP completed and couldn't believe the amount of dust I had created all over me, my driveway, in my garage and my neighbor's yard (it was a windy day). My results weren't as good as I had hoped, but I figure the strip can still be used. For the most part, though, I think I'll stick with cork.

As for FINDING Homasote... Most of the big box stores carry it around here (Northeastern US), but I challenge you to find even one associate at the store who has ever even heard of it, knows what it is or where to find it in their store. It's a fantastic product, though, for certain projects.

People here have said that cutting Homasote with a sharp utility knife is the only way to cut the material without creating a huge mess! When I cut my 4X8 foot piece, I used my skill saw and did it outside, too, as it did create a huge mess, that eventually blew away. This must have been around 32 years ago as the first piece of Homasote was actually the first piece I used on my HO layout! There were no forums back then to ask for opinions on working with Homasote, so I don't know how I became informed on how much of a mess it could be.

KB02, Have you found cork to hold spikes well? Since my plans are to hand-lay all my track, I have concerns about the spike holding capacity of Cork! I certainly might think after laying a section of hand-laid track that a change of plans might be in order and need to use flex track.

Finding homasote sellers is not that difficult. Google Homasote and the company name comes up and has a very simple locator. Type in your zip code, or city and state or Canadian city and it will tell you where to find it.

Buying it maybe a different story. Years ago in Plover, Wi I went to both Lowe’s and Menards and neither had heard of it or were interested in helping when I toLtd them they sold it and could get it. Up Wausau, Wisconsin, 40 miles north of Plover I went into Home Depot and yes they had something similar But not the name brand. The guy at Menards in Wausau asked me if I was a model railroader as they were the only guys to ask for it. Minimum order at the time was 20 sheets.

Here in Madison, the 3 Menards know what it is and can get it. Of the 3 smaller lumber yards that the company show carry it, 2 will order it if the quantity is right and the 3rd had some in stock. I called yesterday, I find it does not pay to travel for speciality items and to call 1st.

I have found handlaying track to be enjoyable but sometimes frustrating. I love to see all those spiked tie plates. If you have the time, patience and don’t want it tomorrow it’s a great way to go.

My layout though now is Central Valley tie strips using a Barge Cement and MEK mix to glue the the ME code 70 rail With a PC tie strip added for rail stability. I found using cork rolls to cut the roadbed for the tie strips was a more solid choice then Midwest cork roadbed.

TomO

Back